NypD Blue renewed for 10th Season

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    NYPD Blue which was on the verge of getting Bumped by ABC has a Renewal. This year has been a comeback year for blue, much better than the life support of the last two. But don't give credit to new cast member Gossalarr. While the Saved by the Bell start is much better than I hoped, the writers have pretty much kept his character a non entity. Maybe because Franz does'nt want to share the spotlight I don't know. I Which all sides would come to an agreement and bring Back Caruso for a final year. Say what you want but the dynamic of the show could not be beat with Franz and Caruso. Smits held his own but there's been no Dynamic since then. Bring Back John Kelley.

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Dave:

Any ideas on how they could get Kelly back in the Squad room without seeming to be very contrived?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Caruso burned his bridges pretty thoroughly when he left. Does anyone think he'd even want to come back?

Besides, I'd rather see the show continue exploring new characters we don't yet know in detail. The current cast is pretty damn good.

M.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Think how good it would be if you added Caruso back into the mix, however it would suffer for the minor characters, who really did not get much screen time when the show focused on Kelley and Sipowicz

5. Michael St. Clair

The first season was the best.

6. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Glad to see Blue will be back. It's been tough to be a faithful fan over the years. ABC continually sticks re-runs in the middle of the season or puts "ABC Special Report: Yada Yada Yada" on the nights when Blue is supposed to be on so it seems as though you never see new episodes for more than 3 weeks in a row.

7. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

The first season was the best, but it relied on story arcs involving the mob and police corruption that the series backed away from. Recent years have suffered more from the ad nauseum repetition of "see crime, get suspect(s), interrogate them, get the person(s) who comitted the crime, elicit confession(s), show characters at home" formula.

Milch's leaving has lessened some of the show's reliance on that formula and the quirky dialogue, and opened up room for the characters to breathe and develop more naturally in the context of the stories. Whereas, for example, Sorenson's quirks were basically explained in a big rush at the end of his run.

I don't know if I'd bring Kelley back to the force, but it would be interesting seeing him appear as part of an ongoing storyline for a few episodes, particularly if it appears a given season is going to be the show's last. I agree it would be shocking if it happened given the way Caruso exited.