What's new

NYC vs. SF? Opinions needed. (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Have you eaten at Cafe Intermezzo, just a few blocks away on Telegraph? Good salads that are GIGANTIC, and good sandwiches too.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations... and welcome home! :)

That's a fun neighborhood!

I second Haggai's recommendation of Cafe Intermezzo and those amazing salads of theirs. Their soups are also magnificent. Mediterranean Cafe is another solid choice for a lite snack and refreshment.

A visit to Blondie's for a 'slice', Top Dog for a 'link', and KingPin for a 'ring' (especially good at 2am when they serve them freshly made for the retiring club crowds) are worth it, even if you don't normally like pizza, hot dogs and donuts. Great nostalgia at these places! :D

There are also a plethora of fine ethnic restaurants for you to discover all over Berkeley, but at some point you should reserve a table downstairs at Chez Panisse! This was the birthplace for 'California Cuisine' and put Berkeley on the map as one of the highest rated restaurants in the world. Some of today’s greatest Chef's learned their wares working behind the line at Chez Panisse, and helped create the vibrant restaurant scene all over the Bay Area. In fact, it was the success of Chez Panisse and all the restaurants that were spawned from former chefs that inspired Berkeley's epicurean nickname - The Gourmet Ghetto. :)

Oh, and if you love coffee – forget about Starbucks, or Seattle’s Best – make a trip to Pete’s Coffee… you wont regret it, until you move away from the Bay Area. :frowning:

If you are a literary fan you are in for a huge treat! There are two World famous bookstores on Tele, Cody's and Moe's, as well as a marvelous little bookstore called Shakespeare & Company - and they are all on the same block! (between Dwight & Haste - about six blocks from where you live)

If you are a live music fan be sure to drop by Larry Blake's former club now called Blake's on Telegraph. Blake's is celebrating it's 75th birthday this year and has a musical history and heritage rivaling that of even the most famous night clubs. Blake's has not only featured some of the most talented musical artists for decades, but they have even been the breeding grounds for some now famous acts like Pete Escavedo, Robert Cray, and Third Eye Blind. Blake's is also a favorite drop-in club for visiting musicians. Some famous artists that have 'dropped by' and jammed have been Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Bruce Springsteen, and even Prince.

Now seeing as this is an HT related forum... a visit to Amoeba and Rasputin's (both located on Tele) will reward you with not only great LP and CD collections, but LD and DVD collections as well!

The only thing left now is for us all to start a betting pool on how long it will take you before you breakdown and buy a Tie-Dye shirt. ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanx for all the tips! We are in SF until Aug. 20th, then we start moving in. We have eaten at the awesome BBQ shack with the smoker, (on San Pablo?) and at zachary's.
Trader Joe's nearby rocks.
Hopefully I can get some guitar students from UC Berkeley.
My fiancee strongly dislikes bars but the Irishman in me likes to go out for a pint every now and then. My cousin who goes to UC Berkeley should be back in town come mid august. Any HTF members in Berkeley??

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks