What's new

NYC tragedy. J&R? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Such a terrible thing happened in NYC today. Such a shame. Please pray for the victims and their families.
In a related question? Does anybody know if J&R's store is okay or did they get a lot of damage? I know they are only a few blocks away from the World Trade Complex. I hope they are all okay there.
Glenn

Peter Gregg

Auditioning
I agree with your sentiments.
Even though this is a forum for Home Theater, this huge attack on human lives can know no walls or boundaries and I do not believe a word of symapthy and encouragement is at all out of line considering the magnatude of this event. Thank you Ron and Parker for putting your own words on this event on the opening page of this forum.
I want to add my words of sorrow, condolances and faith to any in this forum that know anyone involved or have family hurt in the horrible attacks that happened in New York and Washington.
My personal faith in my God and in Jesus Christ teaches me that God is in control at all times and I can share that with you folks here. I hope and pray for His help for the volenteers, firemen, and all the people who are involved in the rescue and salvage in the rubble. My prayers are also with the victoms and their families for the pain and grief of the sensless losing of a loved one.
I know I don't need to say this, but since it is so disgusting I also want to add strong words of condemnation and disgust for the people and nations who would give birth to a cowardly act such as this. I hope those that are responsible for this are uncovered and brought to trial and receive the strongest concequenses for their motives and actions.
Peter Gregg
[Edited last by Peter Gregg on September 12, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With respect to those involved in this
horrid tragedy....
This is a thread concerning J&R.
Please post all other grievences in the
AFTER HOURS area.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Glenn,
I was wondering about J&R yesterday too. I believe J&R is just a couple of blocks away, so logically it's very conceivable they sustained some level of damage from yesterday's terrible disaster. I would imagine the air quality around that entire south-Manhattan area was terrible, so J&R probably was affected in that way as well.
I'm praying for their employees along with everyone else affected by this.
------------------
Scott

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
FWIW, this is the message currently appearing on their website:
Due to the recent events in New York City and J&R's proximity to the affected area, you may experience some delays in the processing of your order. We are working hard to remedy the situation. Thank you for your patience.
Knowing the area, I suspect the J&R facilities sustained minor damage at worst. Their buildings are north and east of the WTC, and there's no direct line-of-sight, which may have helped shield them from flying debris.
Of course, they're in lower Manhattan, which is completely shut off except for emergency vehicles. So they'll be out of commission at least until the rescue effort is concluded.
M.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering about J&R too. In today's issue of the USA Today, there is a large color picture inside the front section of people fleeing down the street as one of the World Trade Center towers came down. I noticed that a lamppost on the street had a J&R banner. That would suggest that J&R is in the area affected. I know Park Row where J&R is located is near Wall Street.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
J&R's warehouse is out on Long Island so if anybody is worried about a product being delivered I would think there would be no problem.

ling_w

Second Unit
J&R sort of faces away from the WTC, and it is actually quite far from the 2 towers, even though it is 1 block from WTC. Their new HQ glass tower in the corner of the block might be vulnerable. But that building sells only computers, so the A/V stuff should be relatively unharmed

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
A reporter from CNN just returned from being sneaked into the area by a medical worker. He specifically commented that J&R was heavily damaged.
As a matter of fact, he said there is heavy devistation for 10 blocks around the Trade Center.
Deane

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Deane,
>>A reporter from CNN just returned from being sneaked into the area by a medical worker. He specifically commented that J&R was heavily damaged.
As a matter of fact, he said there is heavy devistation for 10 blocks around the Trade Center.
That is what I would expect, heavy damage. J & R is a short ways from the World Trade Complex. I hope that their employees were spared from physical harm.
I am not worried about any equipment, computers or audio/video. ALL of that can be replaced. I do know that J & R has a nice complex for their store having just been there in June. Hopefully all is not lost and they can rebuild whatever was damaged.
Glenn

Martice

Screenwriter
FRom what I've heard, People were ducking into J&R for cover during the collapse of the towers. One man being interviewed said he ducked into J&R for safety. Does this mean that J&R did or didn't suffer any damage? Not really but I don't think anyone would run into a place that was being damaged itself. Then again, who's to say what I would do if I was caught at ground zero.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Today's (9/13/01) New York Times features a detailed map of lower Manhattan showing the locations of buildings that have collapsed or partially collapsed, and those that have major damage. Obviously the map isn't intended to be final, but I was encouraged that no buildings east of Broadway (which includes J&R) were marked.
A portion of the map can be found here ; click on the link for "Map: Lower Manhattan" under "Interactives", then select "Reclaiming Lower Manhattan" from the pulldown menu.
M.

ling_w

Second Unit
From the map, it seem to indicate the Trinity church, a block before J&R, is not damaged. Maybe due its stone structure.
As far as J&R, I could only assume their new all glass flagship store's windows are completely blown in. But, they keep their inventory in the basement accessed via the dumbwaiter.
Heck, the fate of J&R is irrelevant compared to what came down already.
I suspect Trump is sniffing the site already to see what he could plant down there.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Today, Monday, October 22, J&R is finally reopening its store. While the buildings remained structurally intact, the interiors took heavy damage and a lot of inventory was ruined. The website and mail order operations have continued to function for the last six weeks, but they make up only a fraction of J&R's business. Today's New York Times details the damage to the store and the difficult future faced by J&R, whose sole retail location in downtown Manhattan used to be a prime spot but is now highly problematic. Here is a link to the article.
I don't have any business downtown this week, but I may try to create some just so that I have an excuse to stop in and buy something, even if it's just a DVD.
M.

Dan A

Agent
thanks for pointing out today's article. I work next to the WTC site (when my office reopens) and frequent J&R. Its a great store with knowlegable help. I didn't realize they did such a large part of their business in the stores, I figured the web site was bigger. Anyway, they've earned my business as other electronics retailers have long abandonded downtown, probably due to J&Rs good prices and wide selection. Their internet prices are sometimes lower than in the store and usually more flexible with a good return policy.
If you're in the area check 'em out or go to their web
jandr.com

W

Will

Cahners TWICE also has article on the J&R Reopening
of Ground Zero store: Link (Long link removed by Admin).
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 23, 2001 at 06:42 AM]

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I was in there yesterday, and bought a pile of DVDs. There was a huge line at the DVD checkout -- of course J&R's prices are great SW: TPM & Snow White were 17.99 a pop, they had both of the recently OOP Criterions, etc., etc. -- a great store in every way.
I'll go back tomorrow for my Mac OS X 10.1 upgrade & any DVDs I might have missed the first time around :)
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks