What's new

NYC high-definition situation (1 Viewer)

Eric M F

Auditioning
I am sure that it has been discussed here before but i am fairly new to this forum.

What is the status of getting OTA high-definition signals in NYC? I am able to get FOX on 44, which my Mits receiver redirected to 5-1. But I can't find anything else.

Thanks for any help.

BTW - If FOX looks that good in 480p, I can't wait to get something broadcast in 720p or 1080i.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
You have to try to pick up CBS-HD on channel 56. It's the only HD station left in NYC. I'm surprised you can get 44 and not 56. They both come from the Empire State Building.

Eric M F

Auditioning
Thanks Vic.

Is it 56, or do I use 56-1 or 56-2?

And, what about PBS? I thought they broadcast from Newark.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
44 (FOX and UPN) and 56 (CBS) is all we have left. All the other digital stations went down with the World Trade Center. If you're in Long Island you could get the New Haven ABC station (ch. 10) right across the Sound, but you'll need a bigger antenna. Rabbit ears probably won't do it.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
BREAKING NEWS!!!
NYC WILL GET BACK 2 MORE DIGITAL STATIONS
According to Gary Merson's HDTV Insider Newsletter, some NYC stations have come up with a plan to resume DTV transmissions. The plan calls for the use of a device called a combiner along with WCBS' existing antenna on top of ESB. Gary goes on to explain that a combiner is a device that uses filters to combine different digital transmission channels into one line to the broadcast antenna. Andrew Corporation and Dielectric are providing the technology, which will use up 1200 sq. ft of the ESB.
When construction is completed they will connect the combiner to the digital transmitters and restart the digital telecasts. WABC-DT and WPIX-DT will be on the air as soon as the combiner, new digital transmitters, and the necessary AC power are available. WNET (PBS) said they "currently do not have the financial resources to repurchase all the equipment necessary to restart digital transmissions". WNBC said that WNBC digital would not be participating with the combiner project.
Another good thing about this plan is that all the digital broadcasts by NYC stations: WCBS-DT, WNYW-DT, WWOR-DT, WPIX-DT, and WABC-DT will now come from ESB, enabling viewers to just point their antennas at the same place.
This is absolutely fantastic news! Not only will NYC viewers be able now to enjoy ABC's new HD lineup (which we have not seen at all this year due to 9/11), but with WPIX-DT also resuming transmissions we will surely get back the NY Mets HD broadcasts we enjoyed last year. Gary does not mention a specific time frame for all this to happen, but the information seems to suggest that this is a matter of months, and not years as we had initially feared.
It is disappointing, however, that WNBC declined to take part in this project. No explanation is given for this decision nor is there any information about them pursuing an alternate solution for resuming their digital broadcasts. It is not a big loss right now, but it could be if the NBC network decides to increase its HDTV programming next year. Unfortunately, I take it as just another not so subtle sign of NBC's commitment (or lack thereof) to HDTV. :angry:
Another peculiar piece of information is that WNET (PBS) claims not to have the money to repurchase the digital equipment to resume transmissions. You would think that the equipment lost in the World Trade Center would be insured, wouldn't it? WNET shouldn't have lost anything then, and it should have the money to repurchase the equipment, or at least do so as soon as the insurance payout is received. This one smells fishy to me. :frowning:
All in all, an excellent piece of news and kudos are due to WABC and WPIX for seizing this opportunity, and to WCBS for making it possible by allowing the use of their antenna. Many thanks also to Gary Merson for digging up this information and giving NYC HDTV viewers a sorely needed ray of hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks