NYC area DishNetwork customers + WNET

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I read at dbsforums and WNET.ORG about their transmitter being in Alpine. Since i'm not a member of DBSforums, was wondering about the post there saying WNET (PBS) is broadcasting on E*'s channel #237, is this for everybody with a DishNetwork plan or do you still have to pay for the OTA local channels? It's the first I heard about DishNetwork broadcasts so I'm curious if anybody can get this. I'd like to see that Lighthouse program along the Alaska coastline tonight...
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

2. Jon_T

Jon_T Agent

WNET is only available for people who live in the NY DMA and subscribe to the locals package. If you do not live in the NY DMA then will not receive this channel. It is not available in the distant nets package.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yup, although Obscuria is by NYC, I found out last night that it's not available unless I subscribe to the local channels.. Damm! I wish they would allow the NYC area free coverage now that they're all scrambling for new transmission sites. Fortunately, nothing I really watch is on ABC except sometimes Monday Night Football, but I can live without that. Fortunately, WNET is broadcasting on UHF channel 76, which I seem to get a better reception than their default channel of 13.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I live in western Morris County about 60 miles from NYC.
    I subscribe to the locals because my OTA reception is virtually nil. It's also this way for radio which is why I love the music stations.
    I think i pay $6 or $7 /month for locals and an additional $1 /month for PBS. It's on channel 249 on the 119 sat.
    I also have cable and PBS is channel 13. But the programming is different between Cablevision's PBS feed and Dish Network's PBS feed. My wife who is a stay at home mom actually loves this because our 2 1/2 yr old can watch his favorite shows throughout the day on either dish or cable.
    ------------------
    JB
    "These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've read on dbsforums.com that the local PBS (WNET) is part of the local channels feed from NYC. That the $1 PBS is actually PBS XD, which I guess is probably nationwide so their programming can be different than when is shown for WNET and in the local free TV guides. WNET is no longer shareing transmitting bandwidth with UHF Channel 76 anymore either so I had to watch the lighthouse special they had last night on a fuzzy channel 13.
    Funny, I've never really listened to any of the music channels on my dish, but now that I just got a toslink cable, I might see how good that is. I figure I can turn on the dish and then my audio system and keep the channel guide so I know which channels are good....
    Jay

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Cool, I'm listening to my Dish music station through the toslink output right now... Pretty cool, just need to set up a new Favorites group of just music stations and then I'll have to trial and error through the guide when I want to listen to music. Too bad there wasn't a small backlit LCD panel on the remote to tell you what favorite group you're in. Rather than turn on the TV just to figure it out, would be nice.
    BTW, I'm not far north of you, I live in western Passaic county and can just about get WDHA on my tuner here at home.
    I'll also listen to Setan Hall's WSOU, and also WBGO (Jazz) and sometimes K-rock (Way to repetive) and WAXQ (doesn't ever play enough variety of classic rock other than the Rolling Stones)
    Jay
    [Edited last by Jay H on October 18, 2001 at 06:10 PM]

7. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Jay,
    You're right about channel 237 (WNET) being part of the locals package. I remembered last night that with my original 1 year commitment I had to spend $39.98/month. I didn't choose any movie channels so with the America's Top 100 pacakge I had to add about $8 or $9 worth of programming. I added the locals plus superstations and I was still $1 short. So I added the PBS channel on 249. Worked out well though, my little guy loves it.
    I can also just about get WDHA with one of those Terk antennas that looks like a propeller. I used to live in Hudson County and grew up on WSOU (Seton Hall's Pirate Radio!), great, great station. I can't get it from home but it comes in somewhat in the car.
    Since radio reception is almost non-existant, the music channels are a big plus in my book. I used to have Primestar and they had music channels but Dishnetwork offers lots more AND I love that they list the Artist/SongTitle/CD Title. Very nice. There's really something for everyone. I listen mostly to the Power Rock, Classic Rock and Alternative channels and the Contemporary Jazz channel is nice backround music for dinner or when guests are over. There's also a Kid Tunes channel which keeps the little ones occupied at times. My wife the ex-Disco Queen likes the Hot Hits channel. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    JB
    "These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel