ny tips for ambient (non-glare) lighting for my theater room?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by kurt_fire, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

I have a 51" Sony rear projection HDTV and I want a little light in my theater room when watching TV or a DVD. I need the light to be non-reflective. My TV does have the safety screen on it in.

I have the main light in the middle ceiling of my room which is WAYYY to bright/big to have on while watching TV. My other light is a lamp in the corner of the room that still puts out too much light and just produces an annoying glare on the screen.

How about a little light behind the TV? I'm new to theater lighting so I need all the tips/information you experts can give me. Thanks! I read somewhere about rechargeable candles or something like that for your coffee table? Anybody hear of that?

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi, if you do a search in the display section regarding "backlighting" you should find a wealth of information. As a matter of fact backlighting is what is recommended for television watching, however the strength of the light must be approx. 20% of your displays max light output.

Regards, Tom

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

An easy way to work with your existing situation is to install a dimmer for your ceiling-mounted light.

CJ