nutrition question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Schermerhorn, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Seems to be a lot of these threads floating around these days.

In the spirit of high metabolism, I've been eating 4 - 5 meals a day. Actually, my body tends to demand that anyway. Here is my typical plan:

Breakfast around 8am - normally a powerbar, Kashii cereal if I'm disciplined

Lunch around 11:30am - probably 40/60 protein carb ratio (fat is probably 20% of the total)

Snack somewhere between 2:30 and 4:30 depending on hunger - "bad food"

Dinner around 6pm - 65/35 protein carb ratio (again probably about 20% fat)

After dinner snack 9 or 10pm - protein shake, sometimes some fruit as well

So I'm looking for some ideas for breakfast (no more powerbars) and especially my afternoon snack at work. I don't want to deal with foods that have to be refrigerated for my snack. I won't tell you exactly what I've been snacking on, lets just say it's mainly highly processed carbs with an inordinate amount of sugar [​IMG] Even with the bad food I'm maintaining the daily intake of 2000 - 2100 calories I'm looking for, but I'm still wasting 400 - 500 calories a day on crap.

I bought some almonds to snack on, but I'd like some other ideas for natural, good foods for breakfast and my afternoon snack.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I try to steer away from foods with a lot of refined sugar...for some reason my metabolism kicks into high gear much sooner and simultaneously kills my appetite, plus makes me feel excessively tired -- damn insulin rush! [​IMG]

I've been eating Body Smarts bars and am trying to go with high-carb foods. Eating meat curbs my appetite as well, but I find that eating bread or pasta makes me feel famished an hour or two later. Pasta also kicks my metabolism in high gear, as does beer. I can only hope to eat so much of it that my body eventually converts the carbs into fat instead of heat.

Funny thing is, the less I eat, the less I need to eat. It's like my body adjusts its metabolism based on the food intake to keep an "optimal" weight.

3. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit