'Nuther newbie connection question...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrettEr, Jan 19, 2005.

1. BrettEr

BrettEr Auditioning

Hello, this is my first post. I am a newbie to HT, and A/V in general.

Well, I'll give you a short bit of back ground on my setup. Last week I purchased a Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP Television, a Denon A/V surround reciever, and a Monster Power Center (HTS 2600). About a month ago (prior to buying my HT equipment) I bought a DirecTV TIVO reciever (non-HD). I also have a PS2 that I am using as my DVD player and game unit. I also have a set of rabbit ears to recieve the local HD broadcasts.

Ok, Now I have everything wired through the power center, to the A/V unit and then into the TV with a component video connection. With it this way it works great to view movies and Satellite TV, but not HD. I have the rabbit ears connected to the TV so that I can get the football games and that stuff in HD. But, with that set up, I can only use the TV audio.

I guess I have a few questions, but I'll just ask this first one...

How can I set it up so that I can utilize the AV reciever to watch local HDTV through the rabbit ears?

TIA.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

There is a Digital Audio Output on the back panel of your set (Number 12 on page 13 of your manual). This is a coax digital audio output that you can hook to a coax digital audio in on your receiver using a standard RCA video cable. Assign the coax in on your receiver to the TV/Sat/Cable input. This takes care of the digital audio.

Then hook the analog audio outs on the TV (Monitor Output Audio 2, Number 5 on page 13 of your manual) to the analog audio ins for TV/Sat/Cable on your receiver using a standard red/white audio cable, so the non-digital channel audio will also play through your surround system.

Then disable the TV's speakers by turning "TV Speakers" to Off in the AudioVideo menu. Switch the receiver to the TV/Sat/Cable input and you should get sound from both HD and regular channels.

If you have any problems, post them here. Good luck!

3. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Brett, you should check with Direct TV, here in NY we get HD local channels through Direct tv, we don't need a separate antenna. If it is the same where you are you won't need the rabbit ears anymore. [​IMG]

4. BrettEr

BrettEr Auditioning

Thanks, Jeff. I 'll give it a try.

I still have a bunch of questions. But, I'll fix this problem first.[​IMG]

Kevin_F- I don't have the HD service (nor and HD sat. receiver), through DirecTV. So, that's kind of a moot point right now. But, I'm working on getting it, I just gotta convince the wife that we need it. [​IMG] :wink: