What's new

Number of subs in theater?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question,...Is there any rule of thumb about how much sub to use in a given size room? In other words,..say, X amount of cone surface for X amount of room. I realize the range could be broad, but moderately speaking.

I plan to build a couple new subs for a new theater soon, and have had second thoughts about running two. 15 X 22 room. Had planned on two Tempest swubs in fairly large enclosures, ported.

Thanks all,...>>>--->

Todd G

Auditioning
The two subs you propose should work well in that room. Two or more subs allow for increased headroom and reduce the chance of driver bottoming. Multiple subs also allow for much greater control over room modes. This will not be too much for the room. Go for it!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I see a lot questions asking whether this sub or two subs or whatever is "too much" for this room. There is a reason why you calibrate. The bottom line is, you will always have more control and head-room with more woofage, and you can just tone it down by calibrating it correctly. Even thought you might not need a V-8 and dont go 120 miles per hour a Caddilac probably is a better experiance at 70 mph then a geo metro is.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Multiple subs also allow for much greater control over room modes.
Actually, the more subs you add, the worse response gets, because the subs will interact with each other as much as they will with the room. My own in-room measurements bear this out, as to experiments by “pros” such as Tom Vodhanel, Howard Ferstler and Tom Noussiane.

If you need two subs, you will get the best results by placing them together in the same corner. This way they behave like a single, larger sub, delivering smoother response, higher output and lower extension.

Of course, you will have a response peak or two, but you can “iron them out” with a parametric EQ.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I use more than two subwoofers. Part of my decision to do
this was based on an article, "Is One Subwoofer Enough?" I have what the article calls the ultimate bass setup, dual LFE subwoofers plus one sub for each of the five remaining channels. Keep in mind, my goal is to NOT to shake the house...but like the article says, to raise the excitement level... http://hometheatersound.com/features...n_20010301.htm. I believe there is too much bass information in the center, rear side and rear center surround speakers to localize bass in one or two LFE Subwoofers. I do what Charles suggested: "calibrate them properly and tone them down".

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using 3 subs for years. But they haven't been placed willy nilly. Many of the articles written about multiple subs stress some basic acousitc principles. Placing more than one sub in different locations poses some mesurement and calibration challenges. If you are unwilling or unable to do 1/6 octave RTA (minimum IMHO) place the two subs in one corner location. The 2 Tempest subs you have planned should perform quite well. The next step would be RTA and a parametric EQ like the BFD, championed here so often.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
IMO its best to only use one sub to best avoid additional room modes. 'course it better be one farily serious design to get it done in a large room. :)

Mark Krawiec

Agent
the best way to deliver the lf content of the five channels and lfe is not really known.
This is an interesting document worth reading. you can just skip to the sections on lf content if you find it to dry reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks