Number of speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CoryS, Nov 5, 2002.

1. CoryS

CoryS Auditioning

First of all I dont know much about this stuff. I have a Sony home theater(Receiver is a STR-SE501)in a box set which is ok for now. My question is does it matter much if I use two more speakers with the sysstem besides the ones that it came with...

I have the sub,, two front, center and the two surround. Should I hook up two more? ie the receiver has a place for front a front b, ... will it sound better with two more placed on the side some where such as where the X's are in the diagram below
    I use the setup for Movies only
    C= center S= Surround
    F=fron

...... C
    F .. TV .. F

X ......... X

S ......... S

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Two parts to the answer, but the short answer is YES it matters.

1) The first thing that matters is what other speakers you plan on "adding" to the mix. If they draw a lot of current or will drop total resistance below what the amp can deliver, you will clip the amp which can potentially damage the speakers.

2) A-B speakers will simply give you another pair of mains playing the same thing, so putting them on the sides will not actually buy you anything useful, IMO.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The A/B outputs are so you can send music to a second room with the "B" terminals. It will eat power to drive those second speakers and you may actually ruin the sound-stage by placing extra L/R speakers to the sides.
    There ARE new receivers that offer 7.1 sound and let you hook up side speakers. But the side speakers dont just mimic the front L/R. It actually detect sound movement from the front to back and sends these sounds to the sides for a short time so you can hear the sounds swirl around.
    So the A/B speaker terminals are NOT a psudo 7.1 - nice try though. [​IMG]

4. CoryS

CoryS Auditioning

OK thanks! I was making sure I didnt need to add another set to get full use of the receiver... sounds like it would do more harm than good..