What's new

Number of SACD available around the world (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yeah: I just saw a quote in the UK's Hi Fi News that Dire Straits Brothers in Arms was exactly the 3000th title. And that one's been out a while. Steady but surely... :)

I'm trying to remember these from memory, but something like 800,000 lps last year, 8 million DualDiscs, and SACDs were something like 3 - 400,000. I think DVD-A's were only 1 - 200,000.

Wes Larkins

Stunt Coordinator
Im glad to see that there are more SACD releases I hope the format survives I love it I think its awesome. I dont understand why there arent more titles available yet and the format has been around for what over 5 or 6 years. It seems that right at the beginning (SONY) released a bunch of SACD titles Pop Mainstream titles (Gloria Estefan, Ricky Martin, J.Lo, Mariah Carey etc.) most of them were Stereo but now Sony takes forever in releasing titles. Sony finally released 3 new ones in December which are all good titles in my book (Duran Duran - Astronaut, John Mayer - Room For Squares, and Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown).

When I went to pick up the 3 above I went to Best Buy and they had approx 2, 1 John Mayer and 1 Switchfoot and found 1 Duran Duran at Borders and I was there the day they were released so they couldnt have got more than 2 maybe 3 copies. How are they gonna sell if they dont ship more copies. I dont understand why they dont initially release the Hybrid SACDs when the album comes out (new releases) instead of releasing the CD then releasing a Hybrid SACD release 1 or 2 years later (like they did with John Mayers "Heavier Things" the CD was released in like 2003 I think and the Hybrid came out in 2004 and Duran Duran's "Astronaut" (2004) and Switchfoots "The Beautiful Letdown" (2003) in 2005. I just think that SACD would become more popular if they only released a Hybrid Version initially then more people would know what an SACD is. Most people dont really look at the SACD section the places Ive been most of the time the selection is small and majority of the albums are classical stuff or stuff that isnt popular. When the more popular stuff is released it seems they sell what 3 or 4 copies if that they initially get it and then you dont see them anymore. I was looking for Incubus' Hybrid SACD and havent been able to find it anywhere I remember seeing it when it first came out and several Best Buys.

How else are people gonna learn about SACD or DVD-A? Oh well what can ya do.

WES

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

I put this is another thread, but the sentiment is valid for here too. :)

The iPod generation doesn't seem too interested in quality audio or multichannel music. Some people are, but obviously not enough.

I don't think it's a question of marketing anymore. Most people just don't care.

Wes Larkins

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I your probably right. I was thinking you can kinda relate this back to laserdisc's. Most people were fine with VHS and didnt care about higher quality, ive come across many many people who didnt even know what a laserdisc was but the only difference is laserdisc were more costly than a VHS. But the price isnt the problem with SACD its just people dont care or people dont know about them. For those who dont care probably havent even heard an SACD.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just to prove that I have way too much time on my hands, I did some calculations based on the information provided by sa-cd.net in the following link.....

http://www.sa-cd.net/additions.php

In the 12 months after February 2004, there were 971 SACD titles released worldwide. However, in the same period of time following February 2005, 771 SACD titles were released worldwide.

Do you still consider SACD a declining format?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
BTW, as of this post, there're 3,750 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net. So I think 4,000th title by end of the year is quite possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks