Number of lines.. pt2.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff W., Feb 4, 2004.

1. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

For some reason my thread was locked??

Anyway I was asking if anyone had specs on the vertical resolution (or # of scanning lines) of some of the current crop of 42"-46" RPTVs (CRT based) on the market right now.

I realize there was some confusion about whether I am talking about horizontal or vertical resolution. I don't know how that happened but I am asking for the number of scanning lines the CRT has, aka the "vertical" resolution along the *vertical* axis (top to bottom). (I know scanning lines are horizontal - how many of those horizontal scanning lines a CRT has is called the *vertical* resolution or "number of lines").

So... anyone have web sites or whatever with these kinds of specs?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The CRTs all have 1080 visible scanning lines (1125 total), though there can be some overlap between the lines. It's inherent in the HDTV spec; they are all the same for this, just like standard NTSC CRT sets all have 525 total scan lines. It's the horizontal resolution that can vary a bit due to a number of factors, like lenses, screens, electronics, etc., but due to the way the manufacturers report you can't rely on specs. You'd have to hook up an HD test pattern generator to actually see if there are differences.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, quite strange indeed that it was closed.

Regardless, it's a difficult question to answer, since any specs that would list this information, will likely explain the *electronic* capability/compatibility of the set.

The question of whether or not the set can actually correctly RESOLVE those lines that it displays, as distinct lines without overlap is a far more difficult question, that depends heavily on the tube size, setup (this is where a very good ISF tech can be extremely helpful), and also the electron-beam focusing ability of the set.

So you see, that it's question with several layers of complications, which can't be defined easily, since a very big part of it is the quality of the setup, which would vary quite a bit.

It's not really feasible to get this in-depth of info about all these sets, I would look more to the tube size, and things such as that. The screen size is a different matter, and is largely unrelated to the spot size capabilities, though certainly it along with lenses can play a big role in getting the image on the tube face displayed on the screen as well as possible. It's a back and forth adjustment, you can't get one right unless you have the other right, so you have to go back and forth a couple times.

4. John S

John S Producer

That number is such a game by manufactures. I would not base my decision on it.

5. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Alrighty thanks, guess I won't worry about it too much and just get the set I like most [​IMG] Right now I'm leaning towards the Mits 42" tabletop.

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It was closed because you were throwing out horizontal resolution specs and asserting that they were vertical resolution specs.

All attempts to explain that the numbers had been confused were ignored, thus creating the impression that the original poster was trolling.

Regards