number of drivers vs cost

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RickTop, Feb 11, 2006.

1. RickTop

RickTop Extra

I am in need of those with more experience than i. my delima is that i am forced to decide between mains with more drivers and one with 'better' drivers.

for instance, i feel that a floorstander with two 6.5 in drivers, one 4 in driver, and a 1 in tweeter would have a "fuller" sound than one with a 1 in tweeter and a 5.5 in driver; especially if it were of bookshelf design.

so, if i were to choose between the two, would the tower outperform the other, even if the smaller, less-drivered speaker were of a higher quality brand?

my specific delima is do i go with a 4 driver JBL E80 or a 2 driver speaker from Mordaunt Short (902/4) or Paradigm (Espirit)

Please dont tell me that Paradigm and MS are a vastly better speaker, etc as i already know that. i just want opinions on weather a "best" two way be better than a "better" 4-way?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's more expensive and complicated to build a speaker with more ways. There are a lot of reasons to go either way, though in this pricerange I don't think you're going to find that high-performance speakers are going to be more than 2-way speakers. The cheapie stuff may be just to impress people or go louder, but that's about it. Having heard extremely excellent speakers with both a lot of ways, and just 2-ways, there's certainly nothing inherently different that will necessarily make one a better choice, it all depends on the quality and implementation of the design. And both kinds of speakers can be done well, or done poorly.

Buy the speakers that sound best always, that's the point.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Ever design has advantages and disadvantages. Trust your ears and make sure you get something capable of filling your room. Many people actually prefer bookshelf speakers for home theater. An example would be Paradigm studio 40's (a large bookshelf) sound better, in my opinion, than the studio 60's (floor stander). Both speakers have the same drivers as far as I know. I would go with a better bookshelf over a lower end tower if they were the same price. Especially with a good sub.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Are these mostly for music or HT? Are you going to have a sub? If they're mostly for HT and you're going to have a sub, then definitely go with the best sounding speakers -- even if they're smaller.

5. RickTop

RickTop Extra

tthanks for your responses. im auditioning paradigms next week. i am just wondering if the bookshelves that are twice as expensive will sound better than the JBL e80s. they are $166 ea at bhphoto.com right now. shipped.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I can't answer that for you since preference is subjective, but seeing as how I don't really like JBL since IMO they are an average run-of-the-mill, but decently mediocre speaker, I think they will sound very very significantly better for my tastes. But I'm sure there are a lot of JBL owners out there who may disagree.

7. alanR

alanR Auditioning

Paradigm.....very good speakers(IMO) for HT.....trust only your own ears....

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

It all comes down to the speaker designers' skill. Woofers, mid, tweeter means an extra crossover to deal with. You'll find guys that won't own anything but speaekrs with a single full range driver.

9. RickTop

RickTop Extra

found Mordaunt Short 914s for $379/ pair. they are supposed to match my Marantz sr7300 very well, so i am auditioning them also.

Between the MS and Paradigm Performances, which is preferable? not as many people seem to own MS speakers, but they get superb reviews.

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Paradigm Performance speakers are good for the price, but are nowhere near the quality of the Mordaunt-short 900 series. A more realistic comparison would be that the MS are somewhere between the Paradigm Monitor and Reference series (Reference version 2 that is; the version 3 may have widened the gap somewhat). There are a couple of us out there that have chosen the MS 906 over the Paradigm Ref/60 after auditioning both.

The 914 is a great deal right now; since the model has been in production for about three years it has seen a price cut. But as always, let your own ears be the judge ;^)