What's new

number and size of subs for my system (1 Viewer)

Lane Michaels

Auditioning
I'm wanting to add a sub or two to my system since I am using nothing right now. I have a 15 that I have used in the past but I dont feel it was a great match for my setup. Im looking at a few different options and I have very little money to spend. I looked into those Dayton 10" subs that partsexpress sells for $100 and I dont think one would make me happy but Im thinking that I could put one under each of my mains and maybe that could work. The other option I am exploring is custom building a sealed cabinet with either a pair of 10", a single 12" or possibly a pair of 12's with a single 250w plate amp. I have the tools and ability to build the box since I used to build custom sub boxes for cars but Im pretty foggy on what would be the best match for the rest of my setup. My system right now consists of 3 Design Acoustics PS-8c (8" 2 way) speakers for mains and center, Jamo Sat500 4" 2 ways for surrounds and a Sony 5.1 reciever whose model escapes me but it has 100w x5 power rating. My theater area is about 20x14" but is basically half of an open area twice that size. I would appreciate any input.

Max F

Second Unit
Oh, build one for sure! You've already have the skills (which i lack). Dollar for dollar, DIY beats pretty much anything you can buy (exept maybe the cheap Dayton Tiny Mighty).

I have a feeling the Dayton sub probably won't be enough for you. You may be better off with a Tempest or Dayton Quatro 15" or similar type project.

Look in the DIY section for guidance.

Lane Michaels

Auditioning
Agreed. I discounted the little 10's shortly after I thought about it. Im kind of leaning to a single 12" Dayton Titanic MKIII in a sealed box. Do you really think I need a 15"? The sub I used to use in my HT system is a 15" and I didnt really think it was a great match. I suppose it could have just been bad placement as well though. If I go with the 12 do you think that would be adaquite or would I be better off with a pair? Only problem is that I would probably have to step down to a lesser quality driver if I go with a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks