Nudity in the Sopranos

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,I have only gotten to see a few episodes so far.I saw a few at the end of last season and what ever ones are on now.Sundays episode was the first time I recall seeing nudity.
    Now,I am wanting to get the dvd set...I dont have any trouble with nudity however I am wondering just how much is in them so I can warn my mother who is already first on the borrow list.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

There is much nudity and violence in the Sopranos, including one episode in which the objectification and degradation of women is the primary focus. It includes many long, disturbing shots of vacuous and nude females dancing for the pleasure of men, being sexually used and abused at parties, generally getting smacked around and one who's beaten to a slow, painful death in the parking lot.
    A great series - and one that looks unflinchingly into the darkest corners of the human condition - but not the kind thing I'd recommend to dear old mom.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Considering that Tony runs Bada Bing, a nudie bar, be prepared to see extraneous nudity (can any nudity be extraneous?) sprinkled in The Sopranos.
    That one episode with Joey Pants going off on his dancer girlfriend was very dark and disturbing.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I dont think the nudity is bad enough to offend.I know alot of women who love this show and have never complained about the nudity in it.
    There was one episode this season(the 3rd) that had alot of nudity but a subplot of the episode was about a dancer there so....., but I dont think its really that bad.
    Its usually a quick glimpse here and there and alot of the time, youll see the dancers on the background.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
    [Edited last by JonZ on October 24, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

5. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

In the episode regarding the stripper, it wasn't so much the nudity as the one scene of the girl 'servicing' the H E double hockey sticks out of Tony that really sticks in my mind. So long as they're not at the Bada-Bing, the nudity is scarce if at all.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

In addition to the Bada Bing scenes, there's all kinds of other stuff - Tony getting it on with his Russian goomah, Tony dreaming about getting oral sex from Dr. Melfi, a brutal rape scene in the stairwell of a parking garage (no nudity, but again, not the kind of thing I'd recommend to mom).
    If your mom's sensitive to this kinda stuff, you might wanna review individual episodes before handing 'em off to her!

7. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

I have read that all of the sopranos are recorded twice. Once for HBO with the nudity violence and language and another version to run on regular TV for future syndication.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Warn your mom? Not so sound insensitive, but isn't she old enough to turn off the DVD by herself if she doesn't like it?
    /Mike

9. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Not that I have any first hand knowledge, but I must say the the Bada Bing has a high proportion of hot strippers compared to a real strip club. Not that I would really know about these things.
    ------------------
    Go Packers!!!

10. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

my mom loves the sopranos

11. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

Scott, you're right about that and it is one thing I hope I don't ever see. I don't know why Chase does this because the show will simply not work edited like that. On the First Season DVD there are a couple errors. I'll tell you one. In the 13 episode, in the scene where Agent Harris and the FBI are making Tony listen to sound bites from the Green Grove, Tony says, "What the fuck is your problem?" But that is not what he says on video. He says "What the heck is your problem?" Watch and see the error. The Sopranos will not work edited IMO.