Nude patches for video games. What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Bane, Apr 29, 2006.

1. David Bane

David Bane Extra

I recently installed a patch for my Tomb Raider PC game that enables your character that you play (Lara Croft) to become nude aside from her gun holster and boots. I did it out of curiosity to see how it will work. It did work and I was able to play the game with Ms. Croft without her clothes on. While I found this to be initially thrilling, I started to feel a little strange. It felt like I was exploiting a great video game character.
    Was this patch official for a short time, or was it always unofficial and not endorsed by the makers of the game?
    What are your thoughts about using nude patches? Do you find that they are unethical and ruin a game's reputation?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I don't have any inside information but it's a safe bet that the patch is unofficial. Releasing an official nude Laura patch would be so politically incorrect that there literally would have been a congressional investigation into the matter.

Considering how many nude Laura Croft pictures that are floating around the net if it were possible to do so the game's reputation would have been ruined long ago [​IMG]

3. Magnus_M

Magnus_M Stunt Coordinator

If it floats your boat... [​IMG]
    Ok, kidding aside it's pretty harmless in my book.

I can understand if a producer of said game would be angry, if someone messed with my work I'd be a bit grumpy myself.
    But that's as far as I'd go, parents and other adults complaining about these harmless mods are to PC for their own good.

It's just some "rearranged" pixels on a screen, not like killing kittens or throwing rocks at stray dogs.
    World of warcraft will never give someone a STD, Leisure suit Larry will not make kids go out and have sex etc.

Hmm, better stop before I get more political, but I don't se a real problem with it even if it's nothing I'd personally use.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    anyone else find this a little scary/useless?

ive tried a nude patch for the sims, and it was good for a few laughs at first, but the fun wore off after a little while.

CJ

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Nude patch for Tomb Raider? That is sooooo 1997! [​IMG]

I don't care - like Magnus said, it doesn't harm anyone. And pixels don't care either! [​IMG]

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

I think some of the nude patches for games are entertaining for awhile, but that's it. It's not something I'd leave on, just something I'll try out, laugh a bit then delete.

7. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

IMO there's nothing wrong with it. Kinda shows that the developer succeeded in making memorable character/game.

Of course too, it's important to note that us American's are kinda uptight about nudity and sex. Most of the world is alot more open about the human body.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Is there one for Donkey Kong?

9. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

You got a thing for Mario? j/k

Just look at the problems unfinished scraps of programming left in the code of the game and completely inaccessible by normal standards can get you in. Hot Coffee anyone?

Just remember: You can't see her naked, but you can shoot her in the face as long as you are 18.

10. David Bane

David Bane Extra

I find the (Tomb Raider) nude patch to be quite distracting! [​IMG] It's makes it difficult to focus on the game. The beauty of the patch is that you can switch between the normal and the patched version. So I guess I'll keep it installed and use it when I'm in the mood.

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    There's a joystick joke in here somewhere...