What's new

Nuance N50 Sub and Nuance 1S Bookshelf (1 Viewer)

Trevor K

Auditioning
There is a guy in the city selling the Nuance N50 sub for 250 (Canadian) and the 1S bookshelfs for 150 (Canadian). How are these speakers for the price?

This is right in my price range (I didn't want to spend over 400 CAD for a sub) so it seems like a good deal, but I can't find any information on it...

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Give it a listen. See how it sounds. Truth is though if your willing to spend up to $400.00 on a sub I would do some shopping around. Energy makes a kick ass sub that has been known as a great deal for years. A great cheaper sub (from what I read I havent heard it myself) is the Sony WM-40 or something like that.

I would stay away from this company regardless of the "deal" you might be able to get. Be sure that the warrenty is transferable. Something on it goes, you'll be forced to pay the $1.99 to replace the driver.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Trevor

That sounds like a good deal, I have nuance speakers,
for that price you will be very happy with them.

Make sure you take your own cds to listen to them.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Hey Bob read the posts I put up in that other Nuance thread. When people are threatened to get sued because they want to review the product I would worry.

Its time to face reality and jump off the Nuance bandwagon.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I own a pair of Nuance speakers that are now dead, and believe me, they are SHIT! The box looks ok, but man the components they use in the speakers are totaly crap!

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Micheal

Yes, I have heard all about the scams Nuance does or supposedly have done, the q sound cd, but all I can tell you is, when I try new speakers I use my own material, i do not listen to this q sound cd, or whatever it is called.

I do believe the speakers are over priced, but that case can be made for most a lot of things. I was lucky enough to find a salesperson who I could trust and give me a good deal.

Also, I know lots of people who have Nuance speakers, and do enjoy them a lot. So if you are scared of by the comments in the other thread, fine, but I would listen to them first before I judge. Also, if they were such a bad speaker how come there are still around?

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Several years ago, I did an demo on Nuance.....basically the same demo that everyone else got. What a joke! Poor build quality. Overpriced. I wouldn't touch Nuance with a ten foot pole. I felt sorry for a friend of mine that bought a set. I didn't have the nerve to tell him the real story.

Trevor, you can pick up a Sony SA-WM40 sub for around CDN$250...might have to wait for a sale (eg. The Brick) or if you can haggle well. List is CDN$299. Under CDN$200 per pair, I think that Paradigm Atoms or PSB Alpha might be doable. This combo above would blow away the Nuance setup that you were asking about IMO.

Dave

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Also, if they were such a bad speaker how come there are still around?
The "white van" speaker scam has been around for more than a decade (maybe 2?), but it's still a scam, and the speakers they sell are still crap. Just because something has been around for a while doesn't mean that it's good.

Trevor, I might not even be from Canada, but I would have to go with those who've listened to both the Nuance and comparable systems, and come out laughing at Nuance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was approached by the White Van Man speaker scam too. Having pretty good knowledge of speakers, I took a look at them. The speakers were different the two different times, but in both cases, they definitely looked like crap to me. I'd have to say pass on it. Your money will be better spent on something proven and of known quality.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Also, if they were such a bad speaker how come there are still around?
That's a DAM good question! Why is Bose still around?

Truth is, if ANY company has had the words "SCAM" said about it when people talk about the company, I would be VERY cautious. I mean people don't say that without any reason. I know first hand about the scam as my parents bought some Nuance speakers for a stupid amount, and now they are dead. I should take pics of the drivers for you guys, it's just sick, enough to make a grown man cry!

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Wow,
Nuance is not the white van speaker scam, you guys have it all wrong. Please be accurate with such claims, you guys are from the states, Nuance is in Canada. They are sold in stores not white vans.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Bob they were making the comparison that the "white Van Scam" has been round for decades yet is still a scam. They were not saying Nuance is sold out of a Van. The reason they are still around is because they make it seem like you are getting a deal when you buy them. It is actually a good sales tactic. Take a mediocre speaker and price it high. As soon as the buyer losses interest because they don't sound as good as the price the price drops(dramatically,acording to all accounts). All of a sudden they seem like a good deal and a pair gets sold.

Just out of curiosity Bob what did you compare yours to when you bought them. I can't remember it if you mentioned in the other thread sorry if I am duplicating information. Oh and I am not trying to set you up for an attack from the Nuance haters, having never heard them(i plan on taking a trip to square one soon) I am curious to what they could go up against.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean it was the same scam as the white van one. I should have made that clear in my message. But CamS is right, if more than a couple people refer to anything as a scam, there's a good chance it really is one.

I know first hand about the scam as my parents bought some Nuance speakers for a stupid amount, and now they are dead.
"Oh my god! Nuance killed CamS' parents! You bastards!" :D

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ley,
When I purchased my Nuance speakers, I all ready knew how they sounded as a friend of mine had purchased them a 4 or 5 years before I was able to buy them, I was impressed with the sound, especially for only two speakers, when listening them to music. When properly set up, you can hear the song surround you like you have surround speakers set up, but they weren't, I have heard lots of different music on them and all of the music sounds great.

My only other stereo system I had was a Sony system with Sony speakers, now it was good, but then hearing Nuance, I knew I had a poor quality speaker, as the Sony's could not handle that much power, My Sony receiver on had 50 watts and the speakers would pop. Not Good.

The Nuance speakers are over priced, I can admit that, but they do not suck as everyone here says. Maybe I am naive but everyone has their own opinion.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Bob, have you listened to speakers from other manufacturers? Like Paradigm and B&W and such. For the list price of the Nuance you could get Paradigm studio speakers! Just lift and you'll know the build quality difference.

If you just want sounds coming from around you, that's easy enough to do with any speaker. It's all in placement. A highly dispersed tweeter that is probably being used for the effect is just plain WRONG!

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure the way Nuance markets is as close to illegal as they can get and still be allowed to conduct business.

Taking a product that cost you $200 to make, selling it to stores for $1000, putting a $5000 sticker on it then letting the consumer think they are getting a steal by letting them have it for $2000 is a scam, legal or not.
Always having a guy in a Nuance shirt pretending to be a rep “here today only” offering “special factory discounts today only” is pretty dubious too.

The only reason that this company is still around is because retailers are making a fortune, and consumer ignorance knows no boundaries.

Trevor, do your self a favor and stay away.

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
I say stay out of Nuance as well. Speakers and any other hometheater related stuff is not essential items but luxury items(need vs want). That is why they do not undergo the same scrutiny as others. It is up to the individual to decide what to buy. That is how these companies have been in existence for a long time. Imagine the company running the power or gas corporation and they would have been shut down a long time ago.
Generally, when you buy a better speaker from a company which has, say, three lines, you get better quality speakers(such as better driver, better sound etc.). In the case of Nuance you get more MDF. You should see their top of the line speaker and the others. You just get more of the same .
International stereo never counts on repeat business. They count on the first time(possibly, impulse) buyers. 6 months later you are very unlikely to find your salesperson there. There is new blood.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator

Well, they probably have a few different models. The ones I was sucked into buying did suck and were over priced too. But fortunately some people do like them, and I was able to sell them for most of what I paid for them. The money went into Paradigm Studio 60's, and believe me the Nuance aren't even in the same league.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks