NTSC sets with Automatic 16:9 mode

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Curtis Anderson, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Curtis Anderson

I like Sony WEGAs but having to go into a menu every time you watch a DVD would be a complete pain. So what I'm wondering is this: Are there any sets that can "detect" when a 16:9-enhanced signal is coming in and automatically adjust the picture without the user doing anything at all? Of course, when there is no 16:9-enhanced image the set would have to automatically adjust back to 4:3 mode.

Maybe there are no sets that can do this. But at least there should be some sets that can switch back and forth with a single button press on the remote.

I'm specifically looking for a 27" set. But ya'll tell me what you know. Thanks.

2. Curtis Anderson

Researching these models:

Toshiba 27AF53 msrp $550

JVC AV-27F713 msrp $550

can't tell from the websites whether 16:9 mode is automatic or not.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Curtis, the FV-, HS-, and XBR-series WEGAs feature an automatic 16:9 mode.

4. Curtis Anderson

Thanks for the info jack. Good to know. So I'm adding this model to my research:

Sony KV-27FV310 msrp $650

Seems too expensive for a 27", but i'm sure i could find it for lower.

So does anybody have either the JVC or Toshiba models i listed up above? Or anybody with the Sony for that matter? I'm interested in hearing first hand impressions.

5. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Curtis,

My 36" XBR WEGA has an automatic mode, but it only works with some DVD players. It worked with my old Panasonic, and a loaner Pioneer, but does not work with my current Proceed PDMT. The automatic option doesn't even appear on the Set-up menu, and so I now have to change into the squeeze mode manually each tome I use it. A minor pain, but worth it for the upgraded picture from my Proceed player.

6. Curtis Anderson

Hey Tom. I've never heard of Proceed. So they make really good DVD players? I have a Toshiba. I wonder if the Sony set would work with it. Even if it didn't I bet it'd work with my Playstation 2, since it's a Sony product.

7. Curtis Anderson

Adding another model:

Samsung TXN2745FP msrp $500

And check this out. This set does 480p! I've never seen a non-HD set before that did 480p. Pretty cool I think.

I don't hear much about Samsung's quality. Maybe it's not so good.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Curtis, Proceed is a very exclusive, high-end specialty manufacturer. Very expensive. Not sure as I post, but I think the Proceed player is based on a Panasonic chassis; Tom can clarify on that one.

9. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Curtis,

Proceed is the less expensive line of products from Mark Levinson. Levinson is a very high end audio equipment manufacturer ($30,000 monoblock amplifier-type high end). Proceed products are in the $4,000-$10,000 range. Proceed equipment is mainly based on Levinson designs, but Levinson doesn't make a DVD player, so I don't know what the Proceed player is based on. Proceed's preamp/processor and DVD player are really exceptional - I bought them because I could see and hear obvious differnces from my older player. But like any high-end equipment they have their quirks, such as the problem with the auto-squeeze on the WEGA.

10. MarkLandin

MarkLandin Auditioning

The Toshiba 27AF43 and 32AF43 have a 16:9 mode available from one button on the remote.

11. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    The strange thing is, that a 11 yr old Sony model (Kirara Basso series) was capable of auto detecting anamorphic signals and used to automatically switch to the squeeze mode. I have never undserstood why and how sometimes these companies actually go backwards rather than progress.

Sanjay
    Member since 1997

12. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I have the JVC i'art 27FA44, which I believe is a new model, mine was manufactured August 2003). It has an automatic 16:9 mode, as well as a one touch button on the remote to over-ride it, or force it on if the DVD isn't flagged properly.

When I got it I was unhappy with the geometry, and I screwed it up so badly the the service menu that I ended up returning it for a new one....

The second one had equally bad gemoetry, but this time I recorded all the settings in the service menu and managed to tinker with it enough that I now have a nearly perfect picture to my eyes. Have not yet comfirmed this with video essentials, which I plan to pick up soon.

The colour when in "theatre pro" mode is also fantastic, much better than sony.

Incidently, I saw a 32" sony wega analog set running the other day in a store, in it's 16:9 mode. It had a severe tilt problem, at least an inch.

In summary, despite it's falws, I still think it is the best among 27 inch flat screens.

13. Matt_Terpstra

Matt_Terpstra Auditioning

The Samsung TXN2745FP does in fact have a 16:9 mode, as well as 3:2 pulldown and a number of other DVD enhancing features. [​IMG] Assuming you get the right DVD player, I've found it to perform quite well in various modes, including 16:9, Anamorphic and 4:3 pan and scan modes.

14. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

My widescreen Pioneer (analog) has an automatic mode, but it doesn't give you 4:3 on non-anamorphic DVDs. It goes to another stretch mode, "Natural Wide" on a 4:3 picture, which is somewhat irritating. On letterboxed DVDs, it will switch to a zoom mode that is dependent on the aspect ratio of the picture.

All that is becoming moot, because the anamorphic "signal" is getting lost when I switch the DVD video through my receiver. That didn't happen on my old Pioneer receiver, but it does on my current Denon and another more recent Pioneer that I tried. Works fine if I hook the DVD player video directly to the RPTV, but I don't want to do that so now I have to switch manually. And you can't select a mode with a single button, you have to cycle through them. Bummer.