Ntsc/pal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Kelsey, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Will a run-of-the-mill US-bought DVD player be able to get some kind of reasonable picture from a PAL DVD that is region coded 1-6?

There are some DVD's available in Europe that have NOT been exclusively coded ONLY for Europe - but have been basically made region-free - but I am wondering if these can be played in US at ALL without special PAL conversion in either DVD player or TV?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

4. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Thanks JJ!

Does that mean the signal going from DVD drive has been converted from PAL to NTSC? The TV to be used is only NTSC - and the disks are only in PAL.

5. Jeff Kleist

No, the computer is just displaying what's on screen. No specific PAL-NTSC conversion

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

7. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Thanks comments.

I had been thinking that MAYBE there would be a DVD drive set-up that would do a PAL/NTSC conversion if one would want to go out to an NTSC TV - but have understood now that more black boxes needed for that - and mucho simoleons. And that DVD drives only put out VGA to a computer monitor.

8. Derek.R

Derek.R Auditioning

9. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Budget wise a $69 Apex-1500 works fine (except for anamorphic PAL discs). If you have an NTSC TV.

10. Jeff Kleist

If you do an A/B comparison on the APEX's conversion and the Malata, you'll throw the apex in the trash

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

12. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    How badly, noticably distorted would a downconverted PAL picture look? I have a Lennox 2003 player thats all region and I didn't think it would convert PAL properly, but I tried a disc anyway (Caligula R2). The picture looks good, for example the roman coin shown in the opening credits is perfectly circular. Wouldn't that be obviously distorted if the PAL wasn't being converted properly? Also the disc is supposed to be anamorphic, and it still works fine.
    Anyway, if the player is converting properly, this would be a good cheap alternative (117.00 Canadian). Of course, the overall picture quality wouldn't be as good as a JVC (you still get what you pay for!).

13. Jeff Kleist

From personal experience. I put the disc in my apex, looked at it, switched over to my friend's Malata he brought over. Night and day. The distortion IS annoying in a funhouse mirror way

14. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I think I would notice that kind of distortion. I just looked at the disc again and it looks perfectly fine to my eyes.
    Its great to know, as there are a bunch of PAL discs that I've had my eye on (Hong Kong Legends, here I come!)
    [​IMG]