NTSC and Multi Region Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Dec 30, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    This question is in regards to dvd players that play NTSC dvds(Region 1 dvds for example). Are their any DVDs that will play on this player that are not R1? Such as Region 3 discs? I know that some are NTSC and not PAL, but does this mean that Region 3 NTSC will play on a regular NTSC DVD player that normally plays Region 1 dvds. This may seem like an odd question, but I have noticed that some DVDs from other Regions contain better extras and often DTS tracks as opposed to Region 1 discs. So I am looking to buy a few Region 3 DVDs, but an unsure if they will play on my DVD player that I use to play Region 1 DVDs. Also, if they can play Region 3 DVDs, for example, is the quality affected by play them on a NTSC Region 1 DVD player. Any comments are appreciated.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...erm... you would need an 'all-region' or 'region-free' or 'code-free' player to play, say, Japanese R2/NTSC and Korean R3/NTSC discs...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The first and most important thing that you must have to play other region discs(dis-regard whether other region release is PAL or NTSC)...

A MULTI-REGIONISED DVD PLAYER!!!

Once you have this...you can play other region release with NTSC video signals.
    If you decided to add PAL titles to your collection,you will need some thing else to convert PAL to NTSCs.

4. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

Or you could get a multi-standard (NTSC/PAL) multi-region (R1-R6) DVD player like the one I use (JVCXV-S500) and their quite inexpensive too.

5. Baqur

Baqur Auditioning

Does this JVC convert PAL to NTSC to play on an NTSC tv?

6. Deborah*T

Deborah*T Agent

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Baqur,

I do not know this particular player, but generally they simply out put a PAL (or NTSC) signal. You need a display device that can handle PAL then.

Most modern European TV-sets (normally PAL) can also accept NTSC signals. To be fair: technically that's a bit easier than the other way around, because (1) facilitating the synchronisation of a "faster" (60Hz vs 50Hz) frame rate is not too complicated and (2) displaying a smaller number of pixels (525 lines i.s.o. 625 lines) within the same display surface is easier as well.

Cees

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

9. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

You should consult this site:
    VCD Help
    They have an excellent listing of all DVD players on the market, as well as formats supported by each player, and whether or not a region-free hack exists.
    I just purchased a Philips DVD-724. I was primarily looking for a player that played SVCDs and VCDs on CDRs and CDRWs, and this player does it all. Another huge bonus is that a very easy region-hack is available for it, which dynamically allows you to change the reason to whatever you wish (as opposed to a "region free" player). The unit also has an onboard PAL->NTSC converter which actually displays a pretty decent signal. Also, the unit is progressive scan with proper 3:2 pulldown.
    I bought the unit for $100, new, at Best Buy. I can't recommend this player highly enough!

10. Kim Olav Svines

Converting NTSC to PAL is not the best. You should have a player that is able to send out a true NTSC signal, and a TV that can show a true NTSC signal (Almost all newer European TV's or players can do this.) This way nothing will be converted, and then you'll get a better signal