NTSB to HiDef

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Whitley, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Don Whitley

Don Whitley Extra

I have a Sony KP53XBR200. Will it accept a converter to receive Hi definition TV?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I couldn't find anything about this TV on Sony's website. Is it a standard def. TV? If so, you'll have to downconvert the HD signal before playing it on your set. This may yield a slightly better picture vs. a regular broadcast. Personally I don't feel it would be worth the $$$.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) I think you mean NTSC in your topic header?
    2) If this set is standard definition- it is/will be possible to get a Hi-Def receiver which will convert the material to standard def NTSC signal. However- this is certainly not ideal, and I would imagine it wouldn't offer any picture improvement over just receiving the standard def signal (if anything, I'd guess the downconversion would be worse).
    In the future, it is assumed, such boxes will become more common as the standard def broadcasting is "phased out". These boxes would work with any set- and would simply receive HIDEF signal, downconvert it, and pass it via video outputs like and VCR or cable box.
    However- in the realistically near future- I can't see any need for having such a box as there is currently standard definition broadcasts, and no real appeal to getting HIdef downconversion...
    -V

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Many HDTV set top boxes already provide a video output to go to most standard TV sets. Often there are two such outputs, S-video is the better of the two for HDTV broadcasts although if the set top box also receives NTSC stations the composite (yellow) output may be better for just those stations if your TV has a really good comb filter.
    Some boxes also provide an antenna coax connection if your TV does not have either of the above jacks. Otherwise you should be able to connect the box through your VCR using composite jacks.
    Currently there is no socially redeeming value in using an HDTV set top box on a standard TV set, except if there is a show on HDTV that you cannot get on regular TV. HDTV boxes are too expensive nowadays for this purpose.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm