NtS: Connect sub to amp correctly

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Seth_L, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Note to Self: Connect sub to amp correctly

Well I get the stupid award...

I had my DIY Tumult hooked up incorrectly to my QSX PLX 2402. The amp is bridged so I should have been using the center two binding posts, but I had been using the upper two binding posts. So I guess I was using half the amp and ground.

After a brief demo today and dialing back the gain about 6dB I went from being pretty happy with my Tumult to having a stupid grin I can't wipe off my face. [​IMG]

I love it!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Being able to admit your mistakes - or, that you did something stupid is a good thing. With that aside, congrats on being able to realize that your combo has more power and is now working at proper levels. But, I'm sure your neighbors probably preferred it the old way.

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Yeah, I've hooked up a full system that didn't work. At least until I took five minutes to realize the volume knob turned down:b

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ouch! [​IMG]

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Does running one of the rear speakers in my car out of phase for about 6 months count as stupid?

How about last week when I connected my neighbors HTIB up and couldnt figure out why we couldnt get surround sound from his VCR? Turns out it was a mono VCR! (To defend myself a bit on that one - the wires were already pulled through his entertainment center so I just hooked them up not realizing he only hooked up one side of the RCA cable to his VCR)

Man, the list could go on and on....[​IMG]

6. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

What about building a new computer and then spending the whole day trying to find out why it would ot turn un. Next day finding out the power bar was turned off. :b