What's new

NTbackup overwrites tape name (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Russell

Auditioning
I am trying to setup NTbackup that is built into Windows 2000 Server to run nightly unattended backups. After the first time the tape is used to backup something, NTbackup will rename the tape with the tape name it was previously, and then it adds a - 1 to the end of it.
Ex. Tape prepared before first use: "Monday"
Tape after the first backup: "Monday -1"

So when the next Monday rolls around, the scheduled backup job is looking for the tape labeled "Monday", but because NTbackup previously renamed it, the job will fail because it can't find the "Monday" tape.

Can anyone please explain to me why NTbackup is adding the - 1 to the end of the tape name, and tell me how to keep this from happening.
Thanks!

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
It's been awile since I set up a tape backup, but are you erasing the tape or just overwriting the tape on each backup? This happened to me once upon a time, but I can't quite remember the problem. I believe there was a setting to supress the renaming of tapes. Sorry I can't be any more help on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks