What's new

NSP1II now or Axiom later? (1 Viewer)

Benjamin*S

Auditioning
I have just started building my HT system. I've bought an Onkyo SR501 receiver, and now I'm ready to start buying the rest. I was wondering whether it would be better to get started with a cheaper system like NSP1II and a Dayton sub or to slowly buy the pieces of a better system (I was thinking Axiom) one at a time which would probably take me a year. The first way, I would be able to enjoy a completed system immediately, but the second way the system would be much better once it is finally completed and I would save money by not buying pieces and then upgrading them later.

Marco_Chicago

Auditioning
I also have the Onkyo 501 paired with the NSP1II speaker set and Dayton 10" sub, the ultimate budget system:emoji_thumbsup: The NSP1II's can be bought for $200 shipped online. They used to retail for close to $400 at best buy and other retail stores. Alot of the reviews you find on them are from people who paid full price for them and LOVE them. For $200 shipped they are a steal. Nothing in that price even comes close. What makes them special is their ability to produce lower frequencies and blend in with a sub even though they only have a 4" driver.

There is a guy here named phil on here who is an expert on JBL. He can provide you with some good sources to show you why the Nsp1II were so highly like by reviewers. Hopefully he will post.

As far as my review...Im thrilled with my system. It blows away my old home theater in a box which cost me more. The NSP1II really shine while watching movies and sound alot "bigger" than you would think by looking at them. The Onkyo tx-sr501 and NSP1II sound great together and blend great, a few people on here have a similar setup.

My suggestion is to pick up the NSP1II (one year to wait for new speakers would be to long for me;) )and see how you like them. For the price you cant go wrong. You can always sell them in the future with little to no loss. The NSP1II will surprise you, give them a shot.

Benjamin*S

Auditioning
Thanks for the response. I guess the thing that worries me about the JBLs is, like you said, the size of them. The room they would go in is 13x21' with a 9' high ceiling. It seems like these speakers would not be big enough to fill the room well. If anyone with a room that is about this size has any suggestions for speakers, I'm open to other ideas.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
They should be able to hold their own quite well in that size of a room if you purchase an ample receiver capable of sending continuous high wattages (minimum of 75 watts per channel would be a good start). The N24II's can handle 100 watts each and the N-CenterII up to 150 watts. They can get very loud and won't distort if they're getting enough good, clean power.

I have the NSP1II package as well, but I use them in a smaller room (10'x12'x7.5'). I can drive them to deafening volumes and they still sound great. What you have to ask yourself though is do you want an immediate entertaining experience, or are you patient enough to wait for the funds to build your system over time?

Marco_Chicago

Auditioning
My room is 17'x11' with an 8 foot ceiling. The JBL's are PLENTY loud for the room. I like my movies and music loud and the JBL's have never given me a problem. One thing that is well know about JBL speakers is that are able to be driven loud with little or no distortion. My room is almost the same as yours, the NSP1II's will get plenty loud (to the point your ears will hurt) without distortion, their ability to get loud will not be a problem.

As far as having a receiver to be able to power the NSP1II's, the Onkyo tx-sr501 does a GREAT job, which is what I also have. It is rated at 65w per channel, but easily puts out more power than my past two 100w receivers. Not only is the receiver able to play loud, but it is so CLEAN sounding. The way it processes the sound is amazing. Everything is so clear and I now hear every detail in the sound that I was missing before with my old cheap receivers.

Like I sad for $200 you can't go wrong with the NSP1II, give them a shot, you will be impressed. Don't let their small size fool you. If you want just go to a best buy and take a listern for yourself. They still sell the N24II's, so you can audition them in the store. Don't buy them from best buy though, they sell just a pair of N24II's for about $150, when you can get the WHOLE NSP1II set online for $200 shipped.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Both ways are good choices.

I also have an NSP1, and very please with the outcome of my setup. I dont regret my buy not for a single second. By this Im not telling you that they are the best, but that they are very good speakers for the money, untochable in their price range.

I do think that Axiom speakers will be much better than the JBLs, but you have to consdier cost and time, how much are you willing to spend, and how pacient are you. Also I dont think the Onkyo is the best match for good Axiom speakers, but thats my personal opion, but I have read a lot of threads matching it with the JBLs with good results, I have Pioneer VSX-912K, and for me all was very good buy, but thats just me.

Good luck,

Benjamin*S

Auditioning
Thank's for all the help. I've ordered the JBLs and I'm about to order the Dayton sub. Can anyone tell me how many banana plugs I will need to buy to hook everything up?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Banana plugs are not necesary, you can connect the JBLs with bare wire, its more like a convinience, to have everything more organized and if you are going to be moving the speaker a lot, they help. I have in both of my setups, I use AR banana plugs and IXOS, both work great, but I liked a little more the AR, but once again they are not necesary, if you going to connect the five speakers, you will need 10 pairs of banana plugs.

You might also need video cables (Component, Svideo or Composite), I dont know what are your TV inputs. You will also need digital cables (optical or coax). Also a sub cable. All my interconnets are AR, because they are cheaper than Monster and other manufaturers and still work very good. You might also want to check Radioshaks interconnects, they also do a decent job.

Also buy 12 gauge wire, Home depot sells it very cheap and work very good.

Good luck with your setup. I envy you, the rush of buying and builiding your HT is very nice.

Take care,
Pablo

JustinLWY

Auditioning

Can someone point me in the right direction? I had looked about 6 months ago, and they were all over eBay at about 215, but I don't see any there now.

I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks