NSP1 package and 6.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Dulany, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

Newbie here. I am just starting out in the HT world, and have purchased the Yamaha RX-V2200 6.1 reciever (I think I got a great deal, $599 from a local authorized dealer.) I have also ordered on-line the JBL NSP1 II package due to recommendations made on this site. My question is, what do I do for my rear center speaker? Another N Center? too big? wall mountable? Does anyone sell N24's singularly? I like the idea of N26 or N28's for my fronts, but than I have an extra N24 from the package. Any ideas.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Sorry for not answering your question, but I have been having problems ordering the JBL NSP1 II package. Where did you made your online purchase?

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

a lot of people just buy a different pair of mains, like n28s or n26s. then you can use an n24 as your back center and have a spare in case any accident happens.

4. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

Thanks David, any other suggestions anyone? If I do go with N26 or N28's, do I set my front speaker settings on small or large. I will be using the Sony sa-wm40 as many people here have recommended for an inexpensive sub. Is there a rule of thumb to use when setting the speaker size on receivers?

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The N26 and N28 should still be set to "small".

You can probably find someone willing to split a pair of N24's, but personally, given the minimal expense, I would just get another pair and have one exra. If something happens to one of them, you won't have to go without sound from any channel while you get it taken care of under warranty. Or, if something happens past warranty, you simply replace and keep on chuggin'! Think of it as your own "extended warranty" LOL.

6. CraigEG

CraigEG Agent

couldnt he just get two and use the two n24's together in the rear for like a 7.1 setup? i rember when i was still shopping the guy at tweeter said something to the effect that you could do a 7.1 setup with any 6.1 reciever? i assume he would be hooking the speaker in series or paralell to the rear center input?

7. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yes, you could run a pair of N24s off one speaker output for a pseudo-7.1 setup. You would want to run them in series, because this would double the impedance, whereas parallel would halve it (since we're talking identical loads). He would need to turn up that channel to compensate, most likely.

9. Robert Lovejoy

Robert Lovejoy Stunt Coordinator

Craig, many folks may suggest inexpensive subs, but I just want to point out that my SVS 20-39PC+ goes wonderfully with my NSP-1s. Seamless match, and the deep bass is incredible.

Don't sell the little JBLs short. They sound great with a great sub.