1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

NSP1/NSP1II w/Sony SA-WM40 or JBL PB10 subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morlan Liu, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

I've decided on the NSP1 or NSP1II speaker set already, whichever is cheaper I will buy.

Now onto the sub...I've heard many recommendations for the Sony SA-WM40. Why is that? I just keep seeing that model matched with the NSP1's.

How do the JBL PB10's compare? Won't they be better matched with JBL NSP1's?

Please advise...thanks!

So that's all set pretty much...still the dilemma...Pioneer VSX-D811S or Yamaha RX-V530 receiver?

Thanks all!

2. RussB

RussB Auditioning

Morlan, I have the NSP1II and they are a great set of budget speakers. I mated mine with a DLS 10, still in the tweaking stage, but everything sounds great. I listed to the PB10, but opted for the DLS based on price and reviews here.

On you next dilemma, I had the NSPs hooked up to an older Technics receiver before I upgraded and was blown away when I got my H/K 225. I also listened to the Pioneer D811 and it too is a great unit, just preferred the H/K.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

"I've heard many recommendations for the Sony SA-WM40. Why is that? I just keep seeing that model matched with the NSP1's."

Because at the time the Sony was the best bang for your buck sub out here- now it's the DLS 10 for $99.00. Both subs are close but the general consensus is that the DLS out-performs the Sony- not by much but by enough for the money and no mods needed.

"How do the JBL PB10's compare? Won't they be better matched with JBL NSP1's?"

Subs do not need to be timbre matched, so there is no better match in terms of that. Many people are happy with the PB 10 and some have mentioned it frying after a year or so but that could happen with any sub. Ouch!

"Pioneer VSX-D811S or Yamaha RX-V530 receiver"

Hmmmm. A lot of folks like the 811 around here but I'll stay out of this one as I'm not up on the receiver specs right now. I will say that JBL tend to be a tad on the bright side, so when paired with a warm sounding receiver (that's up to your ears to decide on what "warm" means, by the way), the JBL really shine. HK is thought of as a warm sounding unit but you'll get more bells and whistls with the 811. I really know nothing about the Yammi.

Good luck!

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

By the way, how "bright" a speaker sounds is also really for you to judge. Bright for me might mean dull to someone else...of course that person will be wrong[​IMG] Just kiddin'

5. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Jose G pretty much summed up your questions so I'll just add some more insight to these ???