What's new

NSP1/NSP1II w/Sony SA-WM40 or JBL PB10 subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Morlan Liu

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided on the NSP1 or NSP1II speaker set already, whichever is cheaper I will buy.

Now onto the sub...I've heard many recommendations for the Sony SA-WM40. Why is that? I just keep seeing that model matched with the NSP1's.

How do the JBL PB10's compare? Won't they be better matched with JBL NSP1's?

Please advise...thanks!

So that's all set pretty much...still the dilemma...Pioneer VSX-D811S or Yamaha RX-V530 receiver?

Thanks all!

RussB

Auditioning
Morlan, I have the NSP1II and they are a great set of budget speakers. I mated mine with a DLS 10, still in the tweaking stage, but everything sounds great. I listed to the PB10, but opted for the DLS based on price and reviews here.

On you next dilemma, I had the NSPs hooked up to an older Technics receiver before I upgraded and was blown away when I got my H/K 225. I also listened to the Pioneer D811 and it too is a great unit, just preferred the H/K.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
"I've heard many recommendations for the Sony SA-WM40. Why is that? I just keep seeing that model matched with the NSP1's."

Because at the time the Sony was the best bang for your buck sub out here- now it's the DLS 10 for $99.00. Both subs are close but the general consensus is that the DLS out-performs the Sony- not by much but by enough for the money and no mods needed.

"How do the JBL PB10's compare? Won't they be better matched with JBL NSP1's?"

Subs do not need to be timbre matched, so there is no better match in terms of that. Many people are happy with the PB 10 and some have mentioned it frying after a year or so but that could happen with any sub. Ouch!

"Pioneer VSX-D811S or Yamaha RX-V530 receiver"

Hmmmm. A lot of folks like the 811 around here but I'll stay out of this one as I'm not up on the receiver specs right now. I will say that JBL tend to be a tad on the bright side, so when paired with a warm sounding receiver (that's up to your ears to decide on what "warm" means, by the way), the JBL really shine. HK is thought of as a warm sounding unit but you'll get more bells and whistls with the 811. I really know nothing about the Yammi.

Good luck!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
By the way, how "bright" a speaker sounds is also really for you to judge. Bright for me might mean dull to someone else...of course that person will be wrong:D Just kiddin'

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Jose G pretty much summed up your questions so I'll just add some more insight to these ???

My brother for instance bought the SVS 25-31PCi and the blend @ the Yamaha RX-V995 fixed 90 Hz x-over is as seamless and smooth as it can get!

I've personally used a JBL 8" 80w; Sherwood 10" 100w; AudioSource SW15 15" 200w; SVS 25-31PCi and because of the JBL's lower usable frequency, ... the blend was seamless and very smooth with no lower mid-bass gap using my Yamaha R-V905 (Yamaha authorized mail-order version of the RX-V595) or my Yamaha RX-V995 fixed 90 Hz x-over!

So, any sub within your budget will work fine with the JBL NSP1's.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks