NSP1 nice sounding speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey,

Finely after a long wait I got some speakers for my home theater I am building. I original picked the AR HC2 speaker system but they were out of stock. After waiting and waiting I canceled that order and ordered some JBL NSP1/PB12 speaker system. We use JBL speakers at work and they are very durable and have a very neutral sound. My only complaint about JBL Professional Series speakers is the total lack of sensitivity. At work we are running 4 500W x2 amps. The left/right surrounds are getting 500W each. The Stage speakers are getting 500W each and the subwoofer is getting 500Wx2 bridged for a total of 1000W each. Even with that much power JBL want more.

According to the spec sheet the N24's come in at 86dB and the N-Center is 90dB. The center is not so bad but those N24's are lacking. No big deal if you have a powerfull amp. I am currently running a Sherwood RD-7106 100Wx5 receiver. I would not call it a powerhouse but it has plenty to get the job done.

First thing I did was hook up the NSP1 speaker package without the subwoofer. After calibrating the system with my trusty RS SPL meter I started watching JP3. Even without the subwoofer these speakers sound really good. It is nice to see that JBL has not lost its neutral sound. JBL has always believed it was up to the director to determine how a movie should sound and not up to the speaker manufactures. Because my room is rather large I was a little concerned that I would not be able to hit reference level with these small speakers. Even without the subwoofer I can turn it up to reference level and get perfectly clear sound. Even with movies like JP3. Even the bass is not all that bad for such small speakers. You really can't feel it but they can hit a pretty tight low note. At the same time I hear no high end distortion. I am rather impressed.

Because I work alot of nights I wanted speakers that could hold up on there own without the need for a subwoofer. I am really glad the NSP1 system is up to the task. Most home theater systems sound horrid without the sub.

Now I am off to Radio Shack to pick up a cable so I can hook up my subwoofer!!!

Chris

2. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I am going through the same dilema right now. The ar's or the jbl's. The same packages you are talking about. I had decided on the ar's but after reading your post I am re thinking.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Both speaker sets are pretty good. The AR HC2 system is a little cheaper and they work well. I would say after listening to the NSP1 with the PB12 it is a better system especially in the low end department. Acoustic Research has always been weak in the low end. Also over and J&R you can get the NSP1 for $249 and the PB12 for $299 with free shipping. They want $489 for the HC2 system with shipping. I say go with the JBL system now that I think about it. Also JBL uses some patented design techniques. They will last a long time. I was only going to buy the HC2 system because I was on a budget and was looking at Best Buy at the time.

I would NOT buy from Etronics. They are thieves and liars. I ordered the HC2 speaker system from them because they said it was in stock. It was not and after a few weeks I canceled the order. They sent me an e-mail about how it was going to take 30 days to credit my account. I e-mail them about it and get no response. I call customer service and I get put on hold forever. When they pick up and I tell them my story they hang up. I got sick of it so I called my credit card and disputed the charges. GO to J&R. They are much more friendly and offer fast service.

Chris

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

dont buy from etronics! they are supposed to fix my denon receiver. i sent it to them 3 weeks ago, but have never gotten any notification about whether they have received it or not. the customer service took a looooong time just to answer my mail, and they rarely reply.

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    buy them here. best price i've seen!

6. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

>> dont buy from etronics! they are supposed to fix my denon receiver. i sent it to them 3 weeks ago, but have never gotten any notification about whether they have received it or not. the customer service took a looooong time just to answer my mail, and they rarely reply.