Ns700p vs. rp91k

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewMM, Aug 1, 2001.

1. MatthewMM

MatthewMM Auditioning

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a new progressive scan dvd player.Basicly target on the NS700p and the RP-91k.Does anyone know how good is the NS700P compare to the RP-91K? I heard the Sony looks a little soft, is it true? Thank you in advance for any input!

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

One important difference is that RP91 offers scaling for non-anamorphic DVDs which Sony doesn't. The softness of the Sony doesn't bother me but I haven't done an A/B comparison so I may not know what I'm missing.

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I have no direct experience with the 700 but the consensus on the web is that the race isn't even close because the 700 has a chroma bug problem while the 91 does not.
    If you're patient, alternatives to the 700, in about the same price range, will be the Panasonic 61 (no chroma bug expected), the forthcoming Philips Q50 (chroma bug not known; but incorporates the Sage deinterlacer), and the Toshiba 4700 (chroma bug expected to be slight). None of these have been released yet and the Toshiba appears to be delayed.
    Keep an eye on Secrets of Home Theater for their forthcoming DVD shootout, part II.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html
    Also, we're in the wrong section of the Forum; expect to be moved.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JohnHN on August 02, 2001 at 06:27 AM]
    [Edited last by JohnHN on August 02, 2001 at 07:56 AM]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I currently have both players in my house.
    The N700P is going back to Good Guys this weekend.
    Basically, the auto-scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs on the RP91 is an invaluable feature for anyone who owns, or plans on buying, a 16x9 TV.
    Aside from that, the progressive picture quality looks to me to be superior on the RP91. No measurements, just eyeballing it. DVD-Audio supported by RP91, not N700P.
    Sure, there are a few bells and whistles the Sony has (time remaining for DVD-video, audio bit rate display, better gradations of fast smooth-scan) but that's not enough to counterbalance the strengths of the RP91. And I'm a die-hard Sony fan! (27" & 32" TV, 555ES receiver, 300 and 560D DVD players are my past purchases)
    I'll miss some of those bells and whistles, but I'll miss the superior audio/video performance of the RP91 more if I go with the 700P.
    Oh, and the onboard DACs of the RP91 give my $1000 STR-DA555ES a run for its money when doing DD/DTS decoding. I currently switched from coaxial (letting the 555 do the decoding) to the 6 channel outs on the RP91.

5. MatthewMM

MatthewMM Auditioning

Thanks for yours opinion.Have you all have experience with the RP61? what is the different between 61 and 91, I'm going to pair this with the sony hs10, denon 3801 and B&W speaker, which current progressive scan player will match better to my set up?Thanks!

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I believe that the RP-61 does not support the zoom/scaling feature that is available on the RP-91. Like Carlo, I recently purchased a RP-91 (replacing a Toshiba 6200). I am also a fan of Sony DVD players (have owned a DVP-300 and DVP-330 with excellent results), but Sony did not offer a price competitive progressive player when I purchased the Toshiba, and the zoom/scaling feature of the Panasonic sold me over the newer, lower priced Sony progressive players.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7