What's new

NPD: Hulu Plus, Amazon Gaining on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Netflix is a juggernaut in the subscription video-on-demand market, but Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime Instant Video made gains in the first quarter with repurposed television programming, according to new data from The NPD Group.

In the TV category, which accounts for 80% of SVOD streams, Netflix holds an 89% market share — down 4% from the same period last year. Hulu Plus, the SVOD unit of Hulu, showed growth in the quarter, with 10% of TV streams (up from 7%), while Amazon Prime accounted for 2% (up from 1%) of the overall TV units streamed.

According to NPD's VideoWatch VOD report, the number of viewers watching television shows using SVOD services increased 34%, compared with the same quarter year-ago.

“There's no doubt that Netflix is driving the growth in SVOD, particularly with increased attention to television programming,” Russ Crupnick, SVP of industry analysis at NPD, said in a statement. “We are also seeing good gains in the streaming numbers from Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime, and, while neither pose an immediate threat to Netflix, it is interesting to see which services later adopters will try.”

In Q1 2012, 76% of SVOD subscribers streamed only from Netflix. In Q1 this year that figure fell to 67%, while 10% of SVOD streamers used both Netflix and Amazon Prime, and 8% used both Netflix and Hulu.

“Since its launch, Netflix has enjoyed a virtual monopoly on the SVOD market, and the company still has a quite comfortable market-share lead,” Crupnick said. “While Hulu Plus and Amazon both still have a long way to go before they come close to catching Netflix, we are beginning to see increasing trial of these services, even among some Netflix users.”

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
A huge reason I don't use Amazon more is that they separate all the TV seasons out, and the interface (at least on the Roku) doesn't make watching as easy as on Netflix. Is the interface on xbox any better?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I tried the Amazon free trial and I didn't like it. The Netflix image quality is noticeably better. Netflix streams in 1080p and Amazon is limited to 720p.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I like Amazon Prime, personally.
Netflix pissed me off because they gave streaming free, along with disc rentals, to people that signed up (when I signed up). Then they took it away when they decided they could make more money. It should have been "Grandfathered" in, for the people that was promised the free streaming. I also called awhile back and asked about the free month of streaming, but because I was already a disc rental customer, I couldn't get the free month of streaming to try it out. So, Netflix can stick it where the sun doesn't shine! I still rent blu rays but don't know for how much lomger I'll do that. I also don't like not being able to send an email to them, instead of calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks