Now with ABC / ESPN Announcement what is needed for native 720p?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Six, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Bryan Six

Bryan Six Auditioning

I've been looking to go HDTV for a while, and I have always believed that the 720p format was the way to go. Looks like this format will become much more popular with the ABC / ESPN Announcement. Very glad to hear this.

Problem is, that there are not many display devices that are native at 720p. Can someone discuss the options that will be available in the next year to display native 720p? I don't believe there are any RPTV's that can display this format natively outside of the new Samsung DLP's. Is there a list someplace with 720p capable devices?

I am 70% interested in sports and 30% DVD, and would hate to get a new TV and then have it outdated in 6 months.

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

A good 8 or 9" CRT front projection system will do it no sweat [​IMG]

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Here's a list of the HDTV monitors on the market as of April of this year, with their native resolution. There aren't a whole lot of 720p mainstream (and mainstream-priced) products available. Princeton and Sampo have some native 720p 27" - 36" Direct View monitors available for less than $3K, but pretty much everything else is at least double that, and often those are front projectors.
    http://www.ce.org/publications/books...ting_apr02.pdf
    /Mike

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    So, the rest of the sets will upconvert to 1080i? What effect would this have to the PQ?

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Well, I would rather the broadcasters had used the highest ATSC standard of 1080p. If the HD committee hadn't hamstrung the OTA bitrate of HDTV to 19 Megabits/sec we could have had it easily. As it is 1080i, with the right scaler, can give you pretty good de-interlaced 1080p, which is still better than regular 720p because there are many more pixels making up the picture (and with it displayed upconverted to progressive scan some of the motion deficiencies in its interlaced scanning method are eliminated-- however, the 1080i signal would still start filtered with a loss of ~30% of the original 1080p master's picture detail).
    Hopefully, HD-DVD can be the source for great, true 1080p signals. Crossing fingers, but not holding my breath! [​IMG]
    The first rear projection LCOS displays will be able to output 1080p signals. Front projection D-ILA, DLP, and LCOS panels with 1920 x 1080p resolution are just around the corner too.
    Dan

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Hamstrung? Let's have some perspective here. 19 Mbps is a lot for a 6 MHz bandwidth signal in the VHF and UHF bands. Indeed, 19 Mbps is more than can be reliably received. The signal isn't robust enough to receive with rabbit ears, and to make it more robust would require a lower bitrate.

7. Michael St. Clair