What's new

Now who has a RPTV running on a DSS hookup? (1 Viewer)

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
a RPTV running on a DSS hookup??
I am suffering from the impulse to buy the new Sony 40" Wega. This is purely based on the recommedations of forum members that a RPTV is not the way to go sourcing a DSS connection. Does anybody justify the purchase of a RPTV other than DVD or an HDTV upgrade?? I do watch an occational DVD but nothing to inhibit getting a 16:9.
I live in Bermuda, so shipping and duty add a nice $1500.00 before it hits the shelf. A RPTV I could do for a little less but does price = value.
Not a simple drive back to the store for me ....
....plus I will get you an umbrella for your drink if you get a chance to visit a little paradise.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Welcome! I understand about the shipping costs. Would it be possible for you to get a projector? The shipping would be much cheaper for that.
Bigger is better, but if you go too big the DSS quality will rear its ugly head. If you do get DSS, the setup stations will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect for quality. Try to set it up and try it out before you sign on the dotted line.
Glenn

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I've seen Wegas and I've seen RPTVs, and there's simply no comparison. RPTVs often look unfocused, pixelated, and have annoying motion artifacts. I don't think any RPTV could compare to a Wega unless the RPTV was a lot more expensive. Wegas are incredibly clear and crisp and totally rock picture quality-wise. Now, they're not as big as RPTVs in the same price range, but they're a lot better quality.
As Glenn said, projectors offer good size and picture for a small package. The shipping might be less than 100 bucks, even all the way to Bermuda. Of course, then you have to have a screen, which is really big, but they're relatively light, at least.
It really depends on what you're looking for.
-Nate

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
A front projector would be a nice touch but we have Bermuda Stone homes which makes channeling tough and I do want wires hanging from the ceiling. Also, I flat out do not have the room to incorporate a nice 8 - 10 screen to compliment the scope of such a unit.
I really like CRTs as I have have grown to a 32" over the years. I do pay the extra to get a Sony Trinitron since my experience has been so clean in the past.
If a RPTV is going to create jagged edges and saturated colors, I would shell out the extra dinero to have a peace of mind with a CRT purchase. I have had an ambition to have a big RPTV, but I would never swap size for value. I just need to justify spending $4,000+ on a 40" direct view.
Does anybody know why the 40" Mitsubishi did so horrible a few years back??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks