Now where is Babylon 5 on Sci-Fi??!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Bryan, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    What the frell?!!
    Tuesday, of course, I just watched the news. But yesterday I noticed that Babylon 5 wasn't on sci-fi at 7 like it's supposed to be. Instead Quantum leap was on. OK.
    Now today, it's 7:05pm and Babylon 5 is not on again. Instead The Outer Limits is on. What the frell?!
    I couldn't imagine that they would pull this show like they pulled Earth Final Conflict. But when Earth Final Conflict was pulled, the show was no longer listed on Sci-fi's webpage air schedule. Accoring to Sci-fi.com, babylon 5 should have been on yesterday and today.
    I'm really annoyed with this. If this maybe has something to do with the terrible tragedy our country has been thrown into this week, I could understand. Maybe they just want B5 fans to be able to watch the news and not miss the show, so they are just showing other stuff until next week. Who knows. But if they have for some reason pulled B5 halfway through the 3rd run of it's first season, they are really starting to piss me off. It used to be that sci-fi was my favorite and most watched channel. If they dumped B5, then the only thig keeping me there now is FARSCAPE, which is enough.
    If they EVER frell with FARSCAPE, though.......

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    OK, this is from the sci-fi web page:
    "The SCI FI Channel extends its sympathies to the victims of Tuesday's terrorist attacks and offers its condolences to their families, friends and loved ones. As a result of the tragedy, some of our programming may be changed, and the information presented here may not reflect those changes in all cases."
    That's fine and totally understandable. I just hope it's because they feel that fans of a popular show might want to watch news, so they will show somethig else for a few days. I seriously hope it's not some kind of misguided decision to remove programing that is considered "violent" because violence has occurred in the real world. As I said, that sort of reasoning is simply misguided (especially when I can put on any network and watch a plane full of innocent people crash into a building full of innocent people about 20 times each hour).
    [Edited last by Sean Bryan on September 13, 2001 at 06:44 PM]

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The first episode skipped was "Survivors", which dealt with a terrorist bombing on the station. The previous episode, "Believers" was aired a second night in a row instead. The following night's episode, "By Any Means Necessary" dealt with an accident that wrecked part of the station and showed emergency crews extracting survivors from the wreckage - if memory serves some of the rescue workers themselves are injured.
    I don't have a porblem with Sci-Fi deciding to stay away from that subject matter for the time being. The fact is that people tuning in to Sci-Fi for an hour or so at this time are doing so to escape the horror, and running episodes that would inevitably remind people of it would be in bad taste if nothing else. I don't think there is anything wrong with Sci-Fi showing a little sensitivity to the somewhat raw nerves of the American people. I've noticed the that program descriptions on DirecTV don't match a lot of what The Discovery Channel, The History Channel and TLC are running either. Nature documentaries have replaced shows dealing with terrorism and natural disasters like earthquakes containing images strikingly similar to the live images from D.C. and lower Manhattan. I certainly applaud Fox's decision to reschedule Sunday night's airing of Indpendence Day. The last thing most Americans want to see at the moment is images of familiar landmarks rocked by flaming explosions and then collapsing.
    Regards,
    Joe
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Joseph DeMartino on September 13, 2001 at 10:12 PM]

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Well, I suppose I can understand that line of reasoning, but I personally don't agree with it.
    I simply find it odd that people are so worried about showing fiction that may in some remote way "remind" people of a terrible event the country is experiencing when, as I stated above, all you see when you turn on the television now is the horror and carnage of this cowardly, despicable attack on our countrymen and way of life. As I said, my personal feeling is that this reasoning is a "heart in the right place", but misguided way of thinking.
    I believe that we, as Americans, should be able to witness the terror that has happened, and this should never be forgotten. The news coverage (even the images of the planes crashing into the towers over and over again) has been very appropriate. That being the case, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be offended by a piece of fiction about events in a place that doesn't even exist.
    What offends me, are those lame-ass radio stations that have actually put together and are playing songs with audio clips of news events from this from this tragedy. That, my friend, is completely tasteless and something that I would say IS offensive.
    Sean