What's new

Now what? (1 Viewer)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I went with most peoples suggestions and got the Pioneer 1014 over the Yamaha 5790. Now for the speakers... As I have said before I need speakers for both stereo (very loud parties) and 7.1 surround for movies. So I just purchased two Cerwin Vega CLSC 12's for stereo and to use as the fronts in the surround sound mode. But based on budget (just spent $1600 CDN) I am going to have to buy the rest of my surrounds individually. So I will be buying 2 middle surrounds, 2 rear surrounds, center channel, and a sub. I am looking at Athena BS-2 for surrounds, Athena center channel and a non-Athena sub. I know the sub can come last based on the big twelves in the front Cerwin's. So in what order should I buy the rest?

2 Rear Surrounds
2 Mid surrounds
1 Center Channel
1 Sub

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would keep all your speakers matched if possible. If you like the Athenas then I would reccomend going w/ them all the way around. You may also want to consider the JBL Northridge E series. What's your complete budget? I would reccomend tower mains since you'll be doing some music listening.

I would suggest going 5.1 at first to dedicate your current budget to the best 5 speakers you can afford. For parties you can also use 5ch and 7ch stereo so all the speakers are producing sound giving you the ability to go louder w/out having large boomy speakers like the Cerwin Vegas.

If you're looking to get the loudest possible while still maintaning very good SQ then you may also want to look at offerings from Klipsch. They are a very high sensitivity speaker and can sound bright, just make sure you audition them and see if you like the sound before you buy.

For the sub I would reccomend the SVS PB10 if you can afford it. If not then look at the PE 10" that's currently on sale.

Hope this helps :)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the possibly silly question but what company is "PE"? I know the SVS sub but what is "the PE 10" that's currently on sale."?

Thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Chris beat me to it. It's a great little budget sub. Truthfully there's not alot else in between that's worth the money other than the $350 HSU VTF-2. If i were going to spend $350 on the HSU I would move on up to the SVS PB10 because it has much more low end and output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks