What's new

Now this is tradition. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Here's an interesting story, and a warning to keep your wills up to date:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...itain_medal_dc

But what really struck me was the following information about the actual production of the Victoria Cross medal:

"the rare Maltese Cross-shaped medals which bear the simple inscription "For Valour" and are traditionally made from the metal of Russian cannon captured during the Crimean War"

Good heavens, is there some room in Britain where they keep these cannon around and slice off a chunk when it is necessary?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In essence, that's exactly what used to happen. However, I think the source of the metal has long since ceased to be Russian cannon.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

That reeks of BS to me. Not sure about Britan, but in the US (which shares many common laws) it is either a charitable donation and tax-deductible to the estate, or it may be held by the estate at the museum - or 'stored' in public view.

Something major was not reported or disclosed here.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

I did some research. Only 1,354 VCs have been awarded in the history of the honor.

Four civilians have been awarded the VC and one has been given to an American Unknown Soldier entombed at Arlington National Cemetary.

The youngest recipient was 15.

The oldest recipient was 69.

The last award was given to Ian McKay on June 12, 1982 for duty in the Falklands.

All of the medals have been made by Hancock Jewellers in London since the inception of the award in 1856.

The original inscription was, "for bravery" but Queen Victoria changed it herself to, "for valor" so as not to imply that recipients were the only soldiers thought brave in battle.

Three men have been awarded the Victoria Cross TWICE.

The cannons were actually made in China with metal so hard that the medals have to be cast.

There is still enough bronze from the Russian cannons for another 80 Crosses. The Ministry of Defense posseses the ingot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks