What's new

Now THIS is a theater I would go to!!!! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Good for them - more old theaters need preserving and renovation. This might actually create a real "exhibitor" rather than just a theater manager out of someone in the group.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm always impressed to see an old theater restored. They have so much more character than the cookie cutter style of the megaplexes.

I miss the theater in my old hometown.. it's a carpet store now.. they still have the marquee out front, so, hopefully someday it may return.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gee, Scott, who pissed in your cornflakes?

Maybe the kids should go back to laying around and playing Nintendo all the time?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There's a movement to restore some of Los Angeles's grand old cinema houses from the glory days of Hollywood. They are all located in downtown on Broadway. Magnificent old palaces--still beautiful in their current run-down state.

The Los Angeles Conservancy is sponsoring its annual screenings of classic films at these great palaces again this summer. Members of the Conservancy have even rebuilt the original projectors.

Quite impressive, as is the student-led case in Albion. Now, that's inspiring.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
totally great story! it's nice to see young kids out there with an interest like this - these are the kind of people i like to go to the movies with.

there's a tower theater in downtown sac that plays all the art-house flicks. (i think it's right next to the original tower records store). it completely has that old-theater "vibe". when i get a chance to see a movie there i always like it on a slightly higher level because of the atmosphere.

i hope more is done to preserve these old theaters.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
there's an old theater in downtown fargo that plays art films and small release stuff. I don't know anything of it's age or history, I just enjoy going there :)
they had crouching tiger hidden dragon when no one else in the area did, nice HUGE old theater with a stage in front of the screen (not sure why?) and I think they're dolby digital

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
All this talk about old theaters makes me think of the Senator, a place that is just dripping with character and antiquity. I need to get back to that place soon, probably to see AOTC.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
There's a movement to restore some of Los Angeles's grand old cinema houses from the glory days of Hollywood. They are all located in downtown on Broadway. Magnificent old palaces--still beautiful in their current run-down state.
Jack:

My friend John Gordon took me on a drive through tour of that area. I liked them! The area is kind of funky, but perhaps revitalization efforts would help change that.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Having grown up in Concrete Bunker/Mall Cineplex Hell, I really think it is great. I get a big kick out of the old palaces when I find them. My kingdom for a balcony!:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great to read that story. Good for them. I'm tired of Mutliplexes that are faceless and without personality.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great project!

I'd rather see more movie theaters restored than see these "state-of-the-art" theaters built without character.

Going to the movies should be an EVENT!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
wow, they actually clean their theater. When I worked in a theater nobody cleaned anything :)
cool story!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Here's my old 1938 theater in Dallas. I used to go see all the movies here in the 70s up to the early 80s when it was still a full service theater. It closed for a long time, and now it's been restored and reopened for special occasions. They really didn't have to restore much, because it was very well preserved up until the time it closed.
The Lakewood
I hate that they put dining tables in the audience section, and wish they'd show movies regularly... maybe one day. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
what are the dining tables for? do they serve meals during the movies? or do they use it as a resuraunt when they're not showing movies or something?
I always thought it would be cool to go to one of the REALLY nice theaters that serves dinner, then transfers your meal and drinks for you to the theater when the show starts (saw pictures of one once in boxoffice or a similar magazine)
but then all the chewing and klanking around would probably just irritate me :)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Well, they turned the Granada into such a place Philip. It used to be our art-house/repretoiry theater forever, then some developers bought it, renovated it as a bar & grill theater. First of it's kind here in Dallas. I personally hated the concept. They serve you at your seats, which means you have wait-staff walking around all night, let alone incessant jibber-jabber from patrons who coudn't give a rat's ass that a movie was on. Oh, and no more art films or classic films, nope, it basically became a dollar theater with current but stale offerings, all at premium prices though. I must admit, it does have nice seating, which works both for dining and viewing. I can't see how the arrangement at The Lakewood can do this, as it just doesn't look too comfortable. The tables are too high for those theater seats, whereas at the Granada, there use lower tables, almost like coffee tables. But then, I haven't been to The Lakewood since it reopened, so it may work, I dunno. But no matter how it's done, I still feel booze and food tend to make people want to talk, and I don't dig that much when I'm watching a movie.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ah this place you were seated and served, then your meal and drinks were transported to the theater for you when the show started, it had large leather seats, with cupholders and a small table in between each seat, about a foot wide. Maybe they had a fold out tray of some sort, I didn't notice any though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks