Now that Truffaut is sorted out.....let's talk Godard

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    OK, so we've gone through all the Truffaut releases and which versions are the best...I'm looking at upgrading my Godard stuff now and wanted some input from anyone with knowledge on any of these:
    A bout de souffle-I got rid of the Winstar release and got the UK release which is much better (although I did like Winstar's commentary track
    Une femme est une femme-I still own the horrid Fox Lorber disc..is there any other version available? I couldn't find one from France or the UK
    Vivre sa vie-The Fox Lorber DVD on this one isn't too bad (probably because they used Criterion's transfer), but again I do not find any other release
    Les Carabiniers-I don't own this one yet and it looks like the French DVD has no subs so I may have to get the Winstar disc
    Le Petit soldat-Should I get the Winstar disc? It looks like the French DVD has no subs
    Le Mepris-I own the Criterion
    Bande à part-I own the Criterion
    Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution-I own the Criterion which is pretty good although it was struck from an older laserdisc transfer. I love this film and would be willing to upgrade if something better exists
    Pierrot le fou-Looks like the French release from Warner-Canal is the way to go here, although DVDFr doesn't list subtitles but Cinestore says it does have them?? I currently have the Fox Lorber disc
    Week End-I have this on VHS from New Yorker Video and I'm sure if they end up doing it on DVD it will be substandard. Again, I don't find anything listed elsewhere.
    I know Godard is known for making a lot of bad films so I've only listed the ones I've either seen or heard praise for. If anyone thinks I'm leaving anything out...let me know.
    Jeff

2. Pat Ford

Pat Ford Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in comments on these as well. I have all the Godard Criterions, but am gunshy on any of the others due to all the talk of poor transfers.

Are the Winstar/Fox Lorber disks watchable? I'm tempted.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

There are a whole bunch of French disks (anamorphic where applicable), but AFAIK none of them have English subs. I have Made in USA & A Bout de Souffle.
    Besides that, I concur that the F-L Vivre sa Vie is watchable... and from what I know most of the others, aren't...
    Ted

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I've heard that there will be a UK 2-disc set with both Alphaville and Une femme est une femme. Anyone find this for preorder anywhere? I heard a mid-February release. I'm especially interested in Une femme est une femme, of which the Fox Lorber release is one of the worst discs I own.
    Ted, any word on the subtitle situation on Pierrot le fou from France? I've heard conflicting info.