Now that I have an HD-ready TV, what do I need to get HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett G, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I'm not new to HT, but definitely new to HDTV. I have a new 65H80 on order and use DirecTV. I also have access to an RCA DTC100, but other than that, just have a regular DirecTV setup. I have a few questions:
    1. Do I need an elliptical dish to receive HD feeds from DirecTV? Can it be bought separately? What channels are available? Does it cost extra?
    2. What do I need to receive HD broadcasts from CBS, NBC, etc.
    Again, as I'm new to HDTV, there might be some sort of primer website that you can point me too as well. Sorry for such basic questions, but I simply know nothing about HDTV.
    Thanks for your help!
    -Brett
    ------------------
    My DVD's

2. teague

teague Auditioning

You will need the elliptical dish to pick up the other Sat with the HD programming, and then a HDTV decoder box, like the Sony SAT-HD100, RCA-DTC100, or Mitsubishi or Toshiba. All of the above will do DirecTV, regular and HD, and the OTA HD. You can buy them in a package with the oval dish from most anywhere. For OTA HD (I am getting all 9 DTV stations in the LA area in Irvine with an indoor antenna), you will also need a UHF antenna.
    That should cover it.
    The 1080i HDTV feeds on a 16x9 set are incredible to watch.
    Chris

3. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

I have an older Sony DSS unit with a dual LNB. I also have an extra Hughes dual LNB dish. There is no HD programing from my local channels yet. Can I use the extra dish that I have to bring in the Direct TV HD channels? Thanks.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Steve,
    Install the Hughes dish and point it at the 119 satellite. Buy a multi-switch to combine the signals from both satellites and feed that into an HD capable receiver.
    Brett,
    Check out www.keohi.com and www.hometheaterspot.com for tips and tweaks on your HDTV. Calibrate it using the Avia or Video Essentials DVD to prevent picture burn in.
    -Robert

5. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    Make sure you get the multi switch that is for the HDTV. It must have a total of 4 ins. Two from the 119 satellite
    and two from the 101 satellite. I am using two dishes and it works well you can fine tune each satellite better this way.