What's new

Now One of My Dreams Has Come True: The Mothers-in-Law on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

I have to agree with Joe Lugoff on this one. I have watched the entire series uncut in pristine transfers over the past 6 months and I found my affectionate memories of it sadly unfulfilled. It can be amusing at times, but the overall scope of it for me now is as a garishly colored, stridently loud, inordinately campy and anachronistic, unnecessary retread of I LOVE LUCY.

However, humor and nostalgia are very subjective, so I hope that everyone who is eagerly anticipating seeing this again or for the first time, finds it as entertaining as they hope it will be and are justly satiated with a quality release. :)

Thanks for that info, Walker. I certainly agree with you that humor and nostalgia are highly subjective things and a "to each his own" mentality is always best. I have a feeling I'm going to agree with you on how this show holds up for me now as an adult.

Gary "wish my biggest remaining dream would come true - a completion of 'Leave it to Beaver' on DVD" O.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Uh, I don't think I asked for "heartfelt comments on the human condition," but perhaps you just meant your response in general and not directly aimed at me.

As I said in my post, humor is subjective. I loved the show when I was a kid and embraced the loudness, now I prefer a bit more of a subtle and creative approach than just redressing a prior series.

I also hope that MPI gets prints as good as the ones I watched, it will be a pleasure for all its fans to see the show looking even better than it appeared on those early color sets back in the day.
He was referrring to the show not you offering "heartfelt comments on the human condition".

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Kaye Ballard is one thing, but Eve Arden is another. As we all know, Eve Arden was famous for "wisecracking," and she was probably the best wisecracker in the business. But on THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW she was directed to say everything loudly and clearly and carefully, as if she were talking to a kindergarten class -- and she seemed not to look at the other characters, if I remember correctly. And it was all so unnatural and broad, that I couldn't find any humor in it.

Any show, including Lucille Ball's own shows, that made people think, "Oh, this is going to be like I LOVE LUCY" was just asking for trouble. Nothing could ever live up to it. Getting I LOVE LUCY out of one's mind, THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW is a typical show of the late 1960s -- ok, nothing special, and a sign that the Golden Age of Television Comedy was over, only to return in a different way in the 1970s with ALL IN THE FAMILY and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I can't argue with anything Joe and Walker have said. They're absolutely right and Joe's observations on Eve Arden's delivery is on-target. But I love her delivery. She can read the phone book and make me laugh.

I was eleven to thirteen when this show originally aired, so my nostalgia for it isn't as rose-colored as someone even just a couple of years younger. This is one of those series born in that era of desperation where all the old-school writers, producers and actors were having to deal with the new world of Vietnam and the summer of love and the emerging drug culture. Hence you have all the day-glo colors and pop-art color designs married to a show othewise mired in a 1950s sensibility. It holds up now as well as it did then, which is to say, it's mildly amusing for those who want to see old-school formulaic comedy executed by old pros who know how to put over any material they are handed.

Is it anywhere near as good as I LOVE LUCY? No. It never was and nobody even then made such a claim. The show never found its footing in its two-year run and it's certainly a time capsule of 1967-69 as seen through the eyes of the people who gave us the likes of LUCY and OUR MISS BROOKS in a different universe. But after observing what passes for comedy these days, I look to shows such as this on DVD as a reason not to throw my TV in the trash heap and read a book.

It's a show for those nostalgic for that brief showbiz train-wreck era when Kate Smith and the Jefferson Airplane shared the same stage on the Hollywood Palace, or for fans of Eve and Kaye. Others might want to move on.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

It's a show for those nostalgic for that brief showbiz train-wreck era when Kate Smith and the Jefferson Airplane shared the same stage on the Hollywood Palace
At the Museum Of TV & Radio (or what was formerly known as that) I watched an episode of The Hollywood Palace where host Dean Martin introduced the Rolling Stones with this classic line: "Oh, I been rolled plenty of times when I was stoned!"

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I agree with Rob_Ray, and wanted to repeat something which I find quite important: Compared with the really great sitcoms of the 1950s and 1960s, THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW is a disappointment. Compared with what passes for comedy on television today, it's a masterpiece! I fully intend to get it and watch it with my 2010 eyes; I'm sure I'll like it more now than I did in 1967-69.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Another thing working against the Mothers-in-Law back in its day is the fact that it was sandwiched between Disney and Bonanza, which, demographically speaking were two kid-centric shows. Kids who watched Disney and Bonanza probably weren't interested in a couple of middle-aged dames, and would probably run around the house until Bonanza came on. THAT, and the fact that TMIL were on during the 2nd half hour of Ed Sullivan didn't help them much. TMIL would have carried its demographic had it been on another night and maybe a little later in the evening. There was definitely an audience for this type of comedy. It was also probably on the wrong network (NBC). NBC had nothing to pair it with. Had it been on CBS, they could have put it on after Lucy and kept much of her audience. Still, even if it had gone into a 3rd season, I don't see it going much farther, because the 70s came around and this type of thing vanished from the airwaves (at least until Laverne & Shirley came along).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Another thing working against the Mothers-in-Law back in its day is the fact that it was sandwiched between Disney and Bonanza, which, demographically speaking were two kid-centric shows. Kids who watched Disney and Bonanza probably weren't interested in a couple of middle-aged dames, and would probably run around the house until Bonanza came on.

That timeslot always was a problem for NBC.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This may anger some, but I just watched an episode of
THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW on YouTube. It's the one where
they get trapped in a department store.

Have to say I was bored.

I will say that Ballard and Arden are just remarkable. You
don't see this kind of talent in comedy sitcoms anymore.
As someone pointed out, they just didn't have anything
terribly funny to play with.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by DeWilson
You are right about that time slot being hard for NBC. Below is a list of shows that filled that spot from 59-71. The season is just how long it was in that slot. Such as Bill Dana Show lasted 1 1/2 seasons but filled that slot for only one season.

Tab Hunter Show - 1 Season
Car 54 Where Are You - 2 Seasons
Grindl - 1 Season
Bill Dana Show - 1 Season
Branded - 1 Season
Hey Landlord - 1 Season
The Mothers-In-Law - 2 Seasons
The Bill Cosby Show - 2 Seasons
Jimmy Stewart Show - 1 Season

After that (72-73 Season) Bonanza moved to Tuesday and NBC Mystery Movie filled the night.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tvshowsondvd.com just posted a blurb, this is delayed indefintley 'till sometime later this year.
Original date was actually mother's day may 9th.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis

You are right about that time slot being hard for NBC. Below is a list of shows that filled that spot from 59-71. The season is just how long it was in that slot. Such as Bill Dana Show lasted 1 1/2 seasons but filled that slot for only one season.

Grindl - 1 Season
Branded - 1 Season
Hey Landlord - 1 Season

After that (72-73 Season) Bonanza moved to Tuesday and NBC Mystery Movie filled the night.
It's funny but I watched every one of those shows from Bill Dana on up to Jimmy Stewart. I didn't like variety shows so I didn't watch Sullivan and I really didn't care for The FBI that much either.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by ahollis

Grindl - 1 Season
Branded - 1 Season
Hey Landlord - 1 Season

Actually Branded lasted 2 seasons.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
They may be reconsidering releasing it at all. I know I was going to buy it as a blind buy many months ago when I thought it was coming out. Then, I lost interest with the many delays it suffered even though it wasn't officially announced. Now, with this recent delay, I decided not to hold off from watching the episode on youtube and I'm glad I didn't. I have to agree with Ronald Epstein on this one. It was such a bore to watch. Not funny at all. And not because of Kaye or Eve who are fabulous! But because they really didn't have anything funny to work with. So I'm glad for the delay now. If they ever release it now, they definitely saved me so money. Definitely not up to par with Lucy & Viv situations.

Originally Posted by TonyD

Tvshowsondvd.com just posted a blurb, this is delayed indefintley 'till sometime later this year.
Original date was actually mother's day may 9th.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I have to agree with Ronald Epstein on this one. It was such a bore to watch. Not funny at all.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
I'm no longer considering a purchase.[/COLOR]

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
I'm no longer considering a purchase.[/COLOR]

Neither am I. And I'm usually on board with any release from the 50's/60's TV era. Thanks for that YouTube discussion, Ron. It saved me some money.

Gary "it is a shame because like many of you I love Eve and Kaye - but this show just didn't cut it for me" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I think you guys are missing the boat. It is a funny show. Is it really fair to judge a series based on one episode? Last night I watched The Fugitive episode, The Chinese Sunset. Other than the fact that Laura Devon was hot, that's a pretty lame episode. If someone didn't know the show, how would they think if they judged it on that episode? EVERY series had its share of lame episodes. I don't care how good a show was. I remember in the early 80s, one of the first episodes I ever saw of The Defenders was called Gideon's Follies and it sucked. Still a great series. No series, no matter what it is, can be judged by one show alone.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
One reason this show has been held up is because it's going to be jam-packed with added value. The Arnaz Estate has a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes footage and documents related to this show and Kaye Ballard has been working with them too. I'm getting it just for the added value alone.

Yes, Eve and Kaye often had tired material to work with here, but like the pros they were, they made the material better than it was.

On a similar note, we watched a couple of episodes of "F-Troop'" last night. Same story. It was total stupidity from start to finish, with ethnic humor you couldn't do today, but seeing seasoned professionals like Forrest Tucker, Larry Storch, Ken Berry, Edward Everett Horton and Frank De Kova trouping through it, made it fun nonetheless.

Looking back now, the sixties were, more often than not, no golden age when it came to comedy writing. But it was a golden age when it came to the stock company of fondly-remembered actors who found work there.

I'm buying the Mothers-in-Law because I love Eve and Kaye and want to show my support for these semi-forgotten relics of another era.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I think you guys are missing the boat. It is a funny show. Is it really fair to judge a series based on one episode? Last night I watched The Fugitive episode, The Chinese Sunset. Other than the fact that Laura Devon was hot, that's a pretty lame episode. If someone didn't know the show, how would they think if they judged it on that episode? EVERY series had its share of lame episodes. I don't care how good a show was. I remember in the early 80s, one of the first episodes I ever saw of The Defenders was called Gideon's Follies and it sucked. Still a great series. No series, no matter what it is, can be judged by one show alone.
I agree, I was going to make the same points. This show is 43 years old and television has come a long way. Some of the scripts may be considered "old hat", but since the cast is so talented, I would hardly call this show a bore. This show is really fun to watch television. It's surprising to hear that people are changing their minds to purchase this set so easily, especially if they like TV from this era and enjoy the cast members.

I have had to pick and choose TV DVD'S a bit more carefully these days, as I am trying to be more careful with my spending (at least for the time being), but this is one set I am going to buy for sure. I have been a fan, ever since I was a kid and watched the reruns in the late 70'S/early 80'S. It's interesting to hear the different opinions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks