Now I'm a victim of the loud voice "crackle" problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Mar 8, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I know this has been discussed before (see http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=13486), but I thought I'd revisit it as now that I've upgraded my 3 front speakers (to nOrh Mini 9.0), and my amp (Sherbourn 5/1500A) I am now experiencing this problem. Did anything ever come of this? Is it definitely the source material? It doesn't seem to happen with all titles, but for instance the other night I was watching 'Kiss Of The Dragon' and it was happening a lot, whenever the characters shouted really loud, I hear the very subtle crackle. I've tried mixing and matching the speakers and it's still a problem. Is there a way to confirm that it's not the amp?
    The crackle is very subtle, and only happens when I have the volume at or above about 5 dB below reference, but it is just really annoying because I'm thinking about it the whole time.

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I think that the crackle problem in the Toy Story 2 intro is truly a mastering problem. Several people confirmed having the same problem and I verified that it is NOT dependant upon the volume setting - I heard the crackle at 25dB below reference.

I have not seen Kiss of the Dragon so I cannot comment on that disc. But when you say

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    The crackle is present at lower volumes, if you have your ear right up against the driver. If I crank the volume up, I can hear it very faintly from my seat. I couldn't imagine 200 watts of clean external power not being enough to power bookshelf speakers. I tried some other movies as well, and it happened on a couple, but not on most. I never heard the crackle when listening to music.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Thanks Ryan. Yes, I originally thought it only happened at high volumes, but after your post I tried it at low volumes. Still noticed it on the guilty sources when I put my ear right up to the drivers. I suspect that the problem is more prevelant now due to the revealing ScanSpeak tweeters.