What's new

Now I know why Amtrak will fail......(long) (1 Viewer)

AjayM

Screenwriter
Of course you are aware that this would basically cut off rural america from any travel for people without a car.
So now you are saying these people do have cars. And there must be a train station in every rural place, right? I used to live in a semi-rural area and there was no train station, it was just about 2 hours away (the airport was closer BTW). And there was a huge number of directions I could drive that would put me farther away from that train station (or any other for that matter). To the point that I am closer to a few large state and private schools than I am to the train station.

And if these people are so poor that they can't afford this car out in rural nowhere, how can they afford the $200 round trip ticket on Amtrack let's say 3 times a year (start of school, holiday break, end of school), and then do it for 4 years? The money to buy those train tickets will buy more than enough car for the would-be destitute college student to get back and forth.

But you also acknowledge bus transportation, which does go lots of places trains don't for a lot less money. So why exactly is tax money going to bailout Amtrack?

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks