What's new

NOW, can someone explain DVD+R? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I did a lot of research when DVD+R first came out and everyone had different opinions as to which was better (+R or -R). The big thing was, no one seemed to be able to explain why people use DVD+R. Besides compatibility, can anyone explain why DVD+R is supposed to be better than -R?

Actually, can anyone explain what the difference is between the two? I mean, they're both DVD-R's, but why do players need to be able to have DVD+R compatibility? How is the media encoded differently?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Actually, as far as general compatibility (from most to least) it goes:

DVD-R
DVD+RW
DVD+R
DVD-RW

In settop players.. far more older settop players will play -R then +R, instead of vice versa.

That having been said, the difference is really in how the TOC is placed on the disk.

Most players by default support -R (hell, an old Panasonic 310A still worked with -R, but no way on +R) the reason is because +R puts the TOC at the end of each session. So, if a DVD player doesn't by default support that, it's a no go and it won't play the disk ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chris, this is the answer I've been looking for. Most of the time, when I ask this question, people talk about compatibility, but I know the compatibility issue, it's the reason WHY DVD+R is used (in the first place) that confuses me.

So what would be the advantage of putting the TOC at the end? Actually, this almost sounds like what I was thinking before. Is a DVD+R more like an "unfinilized" CD? (i.e. the TOC isn't built yet so you can keep adding stuff to it)??

I heard the DVD+R's are used in the DVD video cameras, I would assume this is because the TOC isn't written, so you can record video, stop, record again at a later time, then "finialize" the disc by adding the TOC?

This would make sense as to why the TOC is at the end...but as far as just burning a "finalized" DVD (i.e. one that doesn't need to have stuff added to it) it sounds like the only reason to burn DVD+R is compatibility...but, of course, if it weren't FOR DVD+R, then we wouldn't have to worry about compatitibility in the first place. :rolleyes

The reason this all came about was, someone sent my company a DVD (that they had burned themselves) and one of our video editors couldn't read it in their player. It played fine in my player and they wondered why. I said that it was probably a DVD+R and they asked me why someone would burn a DVD+R (since compatitibility seemed to be a big issue). I kind of understood the reasons, but couldn't explain anything logically...because (as I said above) if you are just burning a "finalized" DVD, then what's the advantage of burning a DVD+R over a DVD-R...there really seems to be no other reason, besides someone having DVD+R epuipment and has a stock pile of DVD+R's. :frowning:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You've about got it. Because +R has a much easier path to multisession recordings, it made for a lot easier use. I can record some, stop, have a usable TOC to read back and watch what I've recorded, and another session, it creates another TOC which combines the first and the new one, etc. etc. etc.

So, for set top recording, +R made sense. -R, with it's front loaded TOC, is in line with the DVD Consortium spec (the same way store bought DVDs position the TOC) so that those discs (-R) are MORE compatible then +R, as all DVD players expect a TOC at the beginning, only newer ones will also look for one at the end of a session :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There are utilities/firmware associated with certain DVD-burner drives that allow for changing the Booktype of the DVD+R to DVD-ROM so that DVD players that have problems playing DVD+Rs would have a better chance of playing a DVD+R that had its booktype changed to DVD-ROM.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i exclusively burn +r with the booktype set to dvd-rom for my clients and have had no compatibility problems. this is my experience with thousands of burned +r's.

i have the capability to burn -r but never have. until i have a problem i will exclusively use +r's.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Ted, the site for the up-to-date DVD FAQ that does not chop off the credits for who actually wrote the thing is:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

The color scheme is also not so ugly. Section 4.3.9: They're both recordable (as opposed to rewritable or read-only) DVD, but obviously +R is not -R :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that the data burned on a 30 second clip and a 10 minute clip look about the same. I always wondered why. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks for letting me know about that ken. does the original author know about this other site? i may let the author know about the other site not giving proper credit...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I don't know, but clearly the copy is not following the rules for mirroring, listed at the very end (in the part that is chopped off):

John Chow

Second Unit
I've got one example of +R compatibility being better.

I've found that my Sony PS2 which was purchased at launch cannot read -R's, but can read +R's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks