Novice new member needs help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasMartin, Oct 21, 2002.

1. ThomasMartin

ThomasMartin Auditioning

I recently came across this forum and being a member of another similar forum related to automoblies I was thrilled to discover one dealing with home theater. I am just beginning to explore converting a rarely used room into a theater but am getting conflicting advice from each vendor / salesperson I talk to. My first basic questions are: The room measures 14x11 and I am looking to install a ceiling mounted projector with a wall screen...is this an ample sized room to do this, and, if so, what size screen would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Thomas. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Since projectors & display devices have their own section, I'm going to move your question over there. That is where you will find people with similar situations.
    We also have a separate "HT Constructions and Interiors" forum. I highly recommend you go to that fourm, show posts from the last several weeks and start reading. (Hint: you can search for keywords like "projectors" and "small room" to find threads that might match yours).

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    14x11. Which is the length and which is the width? Can you control the amount of light in the room (make it completely dark) or is their ambient light? What is your budget for a home theatre and what pieces of equipment (if any) do you already have now?

4. ThomasMartin

ThomasMartin Auditioning

Neil...thanks for the reply...I guess I should have been a bit more specific. The room is 14'deep by 11'wide and has one window which I will be putting a black-out shade on. In terms of budget, I would like to spend a max of $9,000 on projector, screen, receiver and speakers. Again, any advice is appreciated...

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Based on that, these may be contenders...
    Boxlight Home Cinema 13HD
    Sanyo PLV-60HT
    Either one, combined with a suitable screen, should do well in your room. See if you can demo various units from LCD to DLP and CRT to get a better feel of things.