What's new

Novice needs good (wireless) headphones... (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Ford

Auditioning
I was hoping I could get some advice on what would be some good wireless headphones to purchase.
Until recently, I didn't care much about the sound quality of my DVD playback, but I've started to notice that problems with my current set-up (paticularly the low-frequency sound reproduction). Unfortunately, at about the same time I have moved into an apartment with very sensitive neighbors. I can't see the point in paying for a HT set-up that I will only rarely get to use, so what I need is a very good pair of headphones to listen to my DVD's with. The features I would like are:
1. They have to be comfortable, many of the (cheap) headphones I have tried have hurt because of the way they physical pin my ears to my head.
2. They should have good low-frequency sound reproduction. (I realize that no headphone will do as well as a good subwoofer, but unfortunately a subwoofer is out the question due to my neighbors.)
3. I would prefer that they be wireless, as I can't seem to avoid snagging the wires on normal headphones, risking damaging them (I can't afford to ruin an expensive set of headphones.)
4. Cheaper is better, but I am willing to spend the money to get a set of headpones that meet my needs.
After a little bit of looking around I purchased these headphones:
http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...71x8746&catid=
They are nearly perfect for my needs: comfortable for me, decent sound most of the time, and good reception in the room I use them in. The problem is that there appears to be a weird sound artifact that occurs on some combinations of sounds: the volume of the bass component will fluctuate up and down, and it is very noticable and distracting. (Does anyone know what causes this? Is it because of the transmission method or some other reason?)
Somebody on another forum recommended these headphones:
http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...71x8746&catid=
But I suspect they were merely ogling the feature set rather than picking a set of headphones that solve my problem. Besides, I have no idea whether or not they have the same flaw as the ones I have.
Can anyone recommend some good wireless headphones that reproduce low-frequency sounds well and don't have the same problems that mine do? Or if no such wireless headphones exist, then which normal (wired) headphones should I choose.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have the Sennheiser RS65. I haven't really tested it out with low bass, since I'm usually watching late night live football with it to avoid disturbing the wife. I can, however, say it's pretty comfortable even with extended wear (after all, a live football (soccer to you lot) game is around 2 hours long including pre-game introductions and half time.

from my limited use in sometimes watching ST:Voyager (it is telecast at midnight here) with the headphones, the bass rumble of the warp engines naturally can't compare to my SVS, but it seems decent enough.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
The AR AW791 has really dropped in price lately. I'm not sure if they're the only headphone to process DD. I think they look like a wonderful piece.

Kenneth Ford

Auditioning

I saw those when I first started looking for headphones, but I was suspicious of them since a set of surround sound headphones for so little seemed to good to be true.

Does AR have a good reputation? Do they make good headphones?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I personally think AR has wonderful products. If you have the nack to try them out but don't want to be stuck with them, I'm sure Best Buy will take returns. :)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Sorry to post in this thread 2 months later :)
I have the AR AW720. They broke on me yesterday. Never abused. The cheap plastic that holds the wires in place in the "struts" (for lack of a better word) snapped.
Besides that, I always had a static problem with them, and the base station's 2 feet away from me.
There HAS to be something better. Is there?
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks