Novice needing help with home theatre design

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by James.R, Sep 17, 2005.

1. James.R

James.R Auditioning

Let begin by saying that I’m a complete novice when it comes to home theatre systems. We are in the early stages of purchasing a new home; several of the models have dedicated rooms for home theatres, while others do not. Because in some instances I’ll need to convert a bedroom to a media room, what kind of insulation/soundproofing material is suggested for walls, ceiling, and the floor (in all cases it will be new construction with the media room will be on the second floor)? Are there any special concerns about power sources, other than a reliable surge protector?

Additionally, is there a site where the size of the screen in relation to the size of the room can be determined (best viewing from screen to seating area)? I currently have a 36”, 32”, and a couple of 25” sets for bedrooms and the living room but have not purchased a system for the media room, yet. Since budget will be an immediate issue, I'd like a system that would be easy to upgrade in the future.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. James.R

James.R Auditioning

anyone?

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    James,

I will try to answer some of your questions.
    Soundproofing is something to be done in the construction phase. It is too involved to answer in one post, but if you do a search, there are many different options depending on the room & budget.
    As for power, keep all your equipment on one dedicated circuit if possible. This will avoid grounding issues. A good surge protector is a must.
    If you check out some theaters in our gallery you can see many different styles of theaters. There are many factors you need to consider.
    - Budget
    - Is it going to be used for everyday TV or mainly movies & games?
    - Seating distance depends on the type of screen you are watching. How many do you want to seat?
    - Are you looking for size or clarity or both in your picture?

If you can answer these questions, it will give us some direction to help you. I think you are probably like most of us here - We want the biggest, clearest picture with the best sounding equipment, while spending the least amount of money [​IMG]

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Indeed, this is a very open question, what size/budget are you looking at.

When you say "purchasing a home" and putting in a media room, I can see this as anything from a simple HTiB and a TV in an extra room, to a million dollar integrated system designed from the ground up, so you'll have to give us some idea of the scope of what you're looking at?

Are you looking at $2K? $20K? $200k?

5. James.R

James.R Auditioning

I am even a novice when it comes to asking questions.

We will be having a new house built in the near future, but some of the plans that we are considering have a spare bedroom that would be converted to a media room, so I was trying to get an idea about soundproofing materials before construction began.

The media room itself would be used for movies and gaming; everyday TV would be done in other rooms. The size of the room would be in the 12x13 range and ideally would seat 5-8 people.

Size (at least 46") and clarity are equally important issues, so I would rather cut corners on the receiver, as it seems that it would be the easiest/cheapest to upgrade later. Budget for the system itself: around $3k for monitor, receiver, and speakers (I already have a progressive scan DVD player and an Xbox). I'm also a DISH Network subscriber, but I don't currently have an HDTV receiver.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I see, I think focusing on the room is a good idea. If you envision doing a much bigger future system, you may want to invest a lot more in the room. However, you should explore the HT construction/interiors forum for a lot of discussions on building a room isolated. You will want to use good wall construction methods with thicker sheetrock and insulate those walls most likely, split stud, or dual-wall is ideal but may be overkill if you're just planning a sort of simple media room rather than a full-blast theater. You'll also want to do same for ceiling and floor, think about products like green glue, etc. Pay attention to ducting and doorways too.

There's a ton to learn, but those are some basic ideas. hope that helps!