What's new

November Criterion releases (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It is about DARN time that "Tales of the Hoffmann" was released. It will be mine!!!! :)

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
Shoot the Piano Player "Not Anamorphic" Say it isn't so! This would not be good. This would be my main reason I would replace my Fox Lorber version.

I emailed John Mulvaney to ask if this is a typo.

EDIT**** Their Website has been updated to reflect Anamorphic now.

We can get happy again

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
You can add Clement's Forbidden Games to the December list (along with Shoot the Piano Player) according to the Digital bits.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Gordon, there is already avery good R2 version of this film by the BFI. I think I'd only double dip if Criterion managed to find the rather longer totally original version of the film, but it's generally acknowledged that it is totally lost.

As regards the others - I can leave Tales of Hoffman alone (I loathe Powell and Pressburger's work - personal reaction only, I should add). However, Ran will be a must buy, even though this will be the third time I've bought this title.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

There are several versions of Playtime. The absolute original was withdrawn from movie theatres in Paris a couple of days after the premiere after lukewarm reactions and Tati produced a shorter version which is, as far as I know, the one on the BFI disc. The BFI's version is no mean achievement, since over the years distributors cut more and more out of out of the film, being afraid that it wasn't commercial enough. If Criterion have got their hands on the absolute original version as shown at the premiere then this will be a real coup. However, I think that their 'longer' version is likely to be the same as the BFI's.

Ali B

Second Unit
There is already a relationship between the BFI and Criterion (see The Leopard as an example) so it's not entirely unfeasible that the Criterion will use the BFI restoration, although whether they use the same master as the BFI's disc is open for debate.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
andrew markworthy, wrote:

The BFI transfer is poor, I feel; the colour scheme and contrast levels are wrong. Check this DVD Beaver comparison of the Criterion and the BFI transfers. I don't understand why Gary gives the image to the BFI in the "Report Card" at the conclusion of the page, as the BFI's green tinge and contrasty look in no way appeals to me. I have seen the restored version in 70mm and the BFI transfer is considerably removed from what I saw in 70mm. The Criterion's palette is closer to what I saw. I'll wait for Criterion's remastered (2-disc?) edition.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed. I also saw the 70 MM restored version. Much of the film delights in poking fun at 'modern' architecture in many of its forms so we see a significant amount of steely-blue/gray images ... not greenish muck (except notably for the delicatessen scene, of course).

Also, Tati spent a considerable amount of time and expense on the audio of Playtime (multi-track etc.). I'm sure that he would want it presented as he heard it and wanted it i.e. not with PAL speed-up.

So, other than audio and video, I'm in complete agreement with Gary on this one. ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Maybe, like 98% of the population (i.e. *normal* people) he wasn't bothered by it. :D

I fail to see why there is this dislike for the BFI version. The colour balance is well within normal tolerance levels, and unless you lack colour constancy (in which case, make your way to a psychology lab) then the differences shouldn't bother you. Okay, it could be better, but it isn't *that* bad, and I would sooner watch Tati in an adequate transfer than have no Tati at all.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Well, 98 percent of the population (normal or otherwise) haven't seen this film. Most won't be "bothered by it" because most won't even be bothered to see this film. Ever.

What makes you an authority on what normal is? Or what normal color "tolerance levels" are? So, how about dropping the psycho mumbo jumbo and made up stats and just try to make your points as best you can?

I would hate for anyone to purchase the BFI version with a Criterion release coming in the near future and be stuck with that lemon (no, make that a lime).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you were joking when you said people didn't notice PAL speedup! I get it! For a while there I thought you were serious. :) :) :)

Or do you mean that Pal speedup itself is a British joke? :) :) :)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Speaking of Playtime, there is an update via the October Criterion newsletter (e-mail).

It said:

Not much of an update, other than the news of both stand-alone and boxset offerings. But at least we know it is still coming.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
How Brits fail to understand American sarcasm and humor: Example 1.

How Brits spell humor incorrectly: Example 1. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks