Nov. 24th, 10 year anniversary of the death of Freddie Mercury

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Such a sad day.....is it a decade already? Imagine if Freddie would've gotten AIDS a few years later, he might still be alive today with all the new drugs available. I mean just look at Magic Johnson!
    For those that don't know, Freddie Mercury was the lead singer of one of the greatest rock bands in history, Queen.
    Though criminally overlooked from 1981 onward in America, Queen are one of the most successful bands in history selling close to 200 million albums worldwide. They still own the record for largest paying concert attendance in history. Queen are also credited with making the first true promotional music video to sell a single ("Bohemian Rhapsody".) MTV, thank Queen with a lifetime achievement award please.
    Queen were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year.
    Mercury had one the best voices rock has ever heard with a vocal range that most singers only dream of. At his tribute concert in 1992, EVERY singer had to have the song's key changed because, as Robert Plant put it, "nobody could do a Freddie."
    Freddie gave us classics like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Are the Champions" as well as true gems like "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", "Killer Queen", "Somebody to Love" and more.
    He is truly missed, an original....something the world will NEVER see again.
    RIP Freddie Mercury. 1946-1991

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Has it been 10 years? My god. I remember sort of the headlines when Freddie passed away. I would have been 17. Never a big Queen fan but did like what they did. What I do remember is the concert at Wembley in April of 1992. Very touching. Fitting that, with Bohemian Rhapsody being on the Waynes World soundtrack and it racing up the charts as the concert drew nearer...

The whole music industry has never been the same since that autumn of 1991.

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Is the tribute concert on DVD yet? I remember getting choked up seeing Elton John at the piano singing Bohemian Rhapsody.

4. Brandon

Brandon Agent

Rumor has the Tribute Concert coming out in April 2002, but no word on whether it will be released here in the States or overseas only.

5. Michael Allred

Michael
    Brandon, it's not a rumor. Queen's official web site announced the April 2002 DVD release of the tribute concert. Can't get much more official than that.
    As for a US release, the official fan club (Jacky) said the plan is for Hollywood Records to release it here.

6. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

lately i have been listening to the tune "White Queen" from Queen II. i forgot what a GREAT song that is, and Freddie's voice is just TREMENDOUS on it!! when i was in Best Buy yesterday, i was looking thru the Queen catalog and the one CD i was looking for (my favorite - Sheer Heart Attack) they didnt have.

by the way, what happened to John Deacon??? i remember Brian and Roger mentioning that "Freddie and John couldn't be here tonight" during the Hall of Fame induction. i've never heard anything about him before or since.

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    Nick, the short story is, Deacon has retired. Brian and Roger (thankfully) are still very much active.

8. Michael Allred

Michael
    My feelings on Freddie's solo material on the past decade (had he lived of course) would be thus;
    If his past would be any indication, we would've seen him stick to more pop oriened material with plenty of dance stuff getting remixed for dance clubs. No doubt he'd have been involved with duets with some of the newer artists as well. He liked to be "current" and sample whatever the latest sounds were making the rounds.
    Clearly he would've had the most potential for solo success from Queen.
    In '92 and '94 both Brian and Roger had their biggest solo hits but unfortunately they waited too long to release follow up albums and they kinda faded out on the charts. Of course not making videos for their singles didn't help either.
    Concerning Halford, they began wearing their leather outfits around the same time which caused Rob to challenge Freddie to a motorcycle race to which Freddie accepted but only if Rob performed in a ballett first. Freddie didn't hear from Rob again :)
    Another amusing Freddie anecdote was in '77 when Queen were recording their "News of the World" album. Apparently the Sex Pistols were recording next door and Sid Vicious stumbled into Queen's studio. Obviously drunk, Sid said something to the effect of "Allo Fred! Bringing ballet to the masses eh?" to which Freddie replied "Ah yes, Mr. Ferocious. Well, I'm trying my best dear." I would imagine that was the firt time Sid was ever called "dear".

9. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

It truly was a sad day when Freddie passed. Queen and Rush were major influences in my life. I've felt for a long time that Freddie had one of the best voices around.

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I too was so sad when I heard the news that he had passed away (On MTV News, I was in a record store at the time, I remember it very well).

I saw Queen live back in 1986, and even though I wasn't too big of a fan, that was a great concert (outdoors, in rain!). He was a good showman and really worked the audience.

I think Queen was a very underrated band, and deserves much more praise and recognition than they've gotten. The whole South Africa debacle was a little unfortunate though...