What's new

Nottingham (Russell Crowe + Ridley Scott + Christian Bale?) (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Ridley Scott will be directing Russell Crowe as the Sheriff of Nottingham in a twist of the Robin Hood tale called "Nottingham" where maybe the Sheriff wasn't that bad of a guy and Robin Hood wasn't that nice of a guy. Sienna Miller has just been cast as Maid Marian but the more interesting piece of casting is that Ridley Scott wants to sign Christian Bale as Robin Hood. Let's hope this gets confirmed.. loved Crowe and Bale together in "3:10 to Yuma"

BAZ BAMIGBOYE on Keira Knightley, Christian Bale and Andrea Riseborough and much more... | Mail Online

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds like an interesting film.

Bale isn't what I had pictured for Robin Hood (maybe a "softer" actor like Jude Law). But considering he's an evil Robin Hood changes things. Could be good.

Not too sure how I feel about Sienna Miller. I used to harbor a big crush on her back when she was on "Keen Eddie", but now that she's "made it", she seems rather bland. She doesn't appear particularly charismatic or even particularly attractive on screen in these period type movies.

Interesting though how this can be a big reunion movie. Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott obviously have their thing. But once again you've got Crowe acting from a script by Brian Helgeland and also now Crowe and Bale seem to be reversing their dynamic in "3:10 to Yuma".

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd like to see Bale loosen a bit and play with some fun and malice (he's done malice, I know). He and Crowe have great chemistry, so it would be inspired casting.

I hope he takes it. I'd always take a Scott film :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Add my name to those that want to see Crowe and Bale act opposite one another again. Bale is currently shooting both "Public Enemies" and T4 (he will have a role in the upcoming "Killing Pablo") so it all depends on how much is left for him to do on those productions before he can commit to anything else. If Scott wants to cast Bale as badly as the article states, than "Nottingham" will likely shoot around him until he's available. There are also rumblings that he could end up re-teaming with director Christopher Nolan for a fourth time on the big screen version of "The Prisoner".

From what I've heard about the script for "Nottingham", the story basically paints both Robin and the Sheriff as good men working on opposing sides. While Robin is loved by the people, he is a criminal and it falls to Nottingham to bring him to justice. Essentially, the big difference between this telling and past versions of the story is that Nottingham won't be portrayed as being evil and Robin's darker side will be explored, as well as the love triangle aspect being added.

I hope Bale signs on because I'm very curious to see what king of a performance Scott is able to get from him. Hopefully they can get this one started before the looming SAG strike.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's not really breaking news as MTV Movies puts it. It was reported a few months back by Chud after the Bale rumors were laid to rest. It is, however, an official confirmation. Apparently, this was a major change that required a major rewrite as one may suspect and is the reason the movie has been pushed back.

It's certainly an interesting angle to play and one that I can't quite wrap my head around. Is Robin Hood essentially gonna play as a superhero? Will the Sheriff go around chasing Robin Hood, only to slip away somewhere and pop up a few moments later as Robin Hood?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
And here I was thinking it was just a joking comment by Scott that was taken seriously, and it seems there may be some truth to the story after all. Okay.

I couldn't quite see how it could work - it seemed like a lot of needless effort for a story where characters looking similar wasn't needed - but the idea that Ray suggested, where Robin Hood is the Sheriff in disguise, would make sense and could be interesting.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I was interested in this idea when it was Russell Crowe playing the Sheriff and we were going to see his side of the story. That he wasn't such a bad guy after all.
Now it seems that's being dropped completely and Crowe is now playing Robin Hood through the Crusades. The original idea seemed much more interesting to me (especially the twist about the Sheriff being the anti-hero)

Nottingham Turns Into Robin Hood - ComingSoon.net

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I read the thread title and couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Crowe, Scott and Bale all working together on the same set. I hope someone has a tape recorder or video camera running at all times. :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope this film succeeds so that enough interest in Robin Hood is generated to get Robin and Marian released on Blu-ray. I dug that take on Robin Hood.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

It sounds to me like they want to do a Batman Begins take on the character now, which I'm not entirely crazy about but I like it better than the previous notion of having Robin and the Sheriff be the same guy, which just sounded funny to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks