What's new

Notorious (1946) and Spellbound?? (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
My guess is that Spellbound will come out this year? But perhaps not because we all know Disney wants to do everything in its power to destroy blu-ray and physical media to try and push more people subscribe to Disney+. This film is owned by ABC which obviously is owned by Disney.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
My guess is that Spellbound will come out this year? But perhaps not because we all know Disney wants to do everything in its power to destroy blu-ray and physical media to try and push more people subscribe to Disney+. This film is owned by ABC which obviously is owned by Disney.
But SPELLBOUND won’t be on Disney+.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

Disney is still licensing titles. It'll probably end up at Criterion or Kino.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've had the Spellbound blu-ray since it came out, and since it's one of my favorite Hitchcock films I've watched it more than a dozen times since I got it. The last time, however, was a few years ago. I packed it in my luggage to watch with my dear old Mother last week at her house, across the country, but we were shocked to find that it stopped playing halfway through. I took it out, checked for fingerprints and dust, but didn't find much. I cleaned it thoroughly anyway, and put it back in. At the same halfway mark it wouldn't play, and wouldn't play anywhere after chapter 18. Back home now, and with my own player, it won't even recognize the disc. I'm now guessing that my disc of Spellbound might have gotten "disc rot." By now I thought Criterion would have released Spellbound with improved PQ, but no such luck. The movie isn't available streaming either, at least as far as I can tell....

PS The edition below is now out of print. Even used copies seem to be going for c. $70 and up. Sigh.

spellbound.jpg

Last edited:

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I've had the Spellbound blu-ray since it came out, and since it's one of my favorite Hitchcock films I've watched it more than a dozen times since I got it. The last time, however, was a few years ago. I packed it in my luggage to watch with my dear old Mother last week at her house, across the country, but we were shocked to find that it stopped playing halfway through. I took it out, checked for fingerprints and dust, but didn't find much. I cleaned it thoroughly anyway, and put it back in. At the same halfway mark it wouldn't play, and wouldn't play anywhere after chapter 18. Back home now, and with my own player, it won't even recognize the disc. I'm now guessing that my disc of Spellbound might have gotten "disc rot". By now I thought Criterion would have released Spellbound with improved PQ, but no such luck. The movie isn't available streaming either, at least as far as I can tell....

View attachment 183582
Sounds like the all too common layer change failure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm reviewing something tomorrow afternoon, but I certainly know what I'll be watching in the evening. Thanks for the head's up.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I've had the Spellbound blu-ray since it came out, and since it's one of my favorite Hitchcock films I've watched it more than a dozen times since I got it. The last time, however, was a few years ago. I packed it in my luggage to watch with my dear old Mother last week at her house, across the country, but we were shocked to find that it stopped playing halfway through. I took it out, checked for fingerprints and dust, but didn't find much. I cleaned it thoroughly anyway, and put it back in. At the same halfway mark it wouldn't play, and wouldn't play anywhere after chapter 18. Back home now, and with my own player, it won't even recognize the disc. I'm now guessing that my disc of Spellbound might have gotten "disc rot." By now I thought Criterion would have released Spellbound with improved PQ, but no such luck. The movie isn't available streaming either, at least as far as I can tell....

PS The edition below is now out of print. Even used copies seem to be going for c. $70 and up. Sigh.

View attachment 183582

A new restoration of the film is going to be premiering at Cannes this year, so it’s quite possible we might get an improved Criterion Blu-ray before the year’s end (or maybe next year).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is good news! The current blu-ray has okay pq, but it's a bit blown out at times from my pov. There's room for improvement.

"Spellbound
La Maison du docteur Edwardes

Alfred Hitchcock
1945, 1h46, United States

Presented and restored by Walt Disney Studios in association with The Film Foundation, with the participation of the Academy Film Archive. Special thanks to Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg.
Screening in the presence of Margaret Bodde, Executive Director, The Film Foundation."

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

View attachment 183582
I sorry to learn that. I'll watch my disc in the next few days, probably tonight, to check that I don't have the same problem. I'm overdue to re-watch this film anyway.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my Blu-ray tonight, the one I originally reviewed way back when and breathed a sigh of relief that it played through completely with no issues. Also watched a couple of the bonuses, and they played fine, too.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
It will probably be licensed again. It is not a legacy Disney or even a Fox title and an outlier in their catalog. are you sure ABC owns it? Was released on mgm home video on blu ray. Criterion had it on reg dvd eons ago.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
It will probably be licensed again. It is not a legacy Disney or even a Fox title and an outlier in their catalog. are you sure ABC owns it? Was released on mgm home video on blu ray. Criterion had it on reg dvd eons ago.

The film was acquired by ABC after Selznick’s death along with the rest of Selznick’s films (except for films like Gone With the Wind and The Prisoner of Zenda), which places it with Disney. Also, Disney is partially credited with the new restoration at Cannes, so I doubt they would have been involved if they didn’t own the film.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Yes. It was produced by Selznick International Pictures. Criterion released it on DVD when they licensed that, Rebecca, and Notorious. MGM picked up the licenses for the three Hitches later on, and as well as numerous other Selznick pictures.

On edit: It's worth noting that at the time that Criterion had the DVD rights to the three Hitches, Anchor Bay had the DVD rights to a passel of other Selznick films, which were other titles that ended up with MGM later on. I suspect that the reason MGM managed to get the Hitches away from Criterion was because they wanted them as part of a deal for a larger number of Selznick titles.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The film was acquired by ABC after Selznick’s death along with the rest of Selznick’s films (except for films like Gone With the Wind and The Prisoner of Zenda), which places it with Disney. Also, Disney is partially credited with the new restoration at Cannes, so I doubt they would have been involved if they didn’t own the film.
that's good to know re: disney involved w the restoration.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched my Blu-ray tonight, the one I originally reviewed way back when and breathed a sigh of relief that it played through completely with no issues. Also watched a couple of the bonuses, and they played fine, too.
I watched my disc and it too plays without problems.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any rumors for spellbound on criterion or another label?

It is a 1945 film. Maybe they will hold it until 2025?

I noted this screening this March::

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks