TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Hmm. May be a good time to sell my mgm copies then. I’ll want the new versions..
If you care about the special features, a Criterion release for Spellbound & Notorious probably will not carry over most of the special features from the MGM discs. Criterion's Rebecca disc didn't so I think I'm safe in assuming it won't happen for the other two either.

Reactions: Osato

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmm. May be a good time to sell my mgm copies then. I’ll want the new versions..
Yes, but hold on to the MGM's long enough to check the supplements. NOTORIOUS and SPELLBOUND were actually great discs, and loaded with bonus features, some of which might not turn up on any future releases.

Reactions: Osato and Jimbo64

Jimbo64

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Yes, but hold on to the MGM's long enough to check the supplements. NOTORIOUS and SPELLBOUND were actually great discs, and loaded with bonus features, some of which might not turn up on any future releases.
Exactly, I’m keeping the MGM 3 disc set until I see what the special features are on the next Notorious and Spellbound

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Good points. If you're a fan of Hitch and special features: The Criterion Rebecca disc has a good deal of supplemental material, however, none of the MGM bonus material is ported over (including a commentary by Richard Schickel). This means the other two discs will likely not see their materials on the Criterion disc (if it happens).

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Spellbound (as with most of the Selznick catalog) is actually owned by Disney by way of ABC. They were previously licensing out their titles to MGM and are now splitting the catalog between Criterion and Kino.

It was implied that Criterion had regained the rights to the three Hitches they had released on dvd while Kino had Lifeboat and Paradine Case.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Spellbound (as with most of the Selznick catalog) is actually owned by Disney by way of ABC. They were previously licensing out their titles to MGM and are now splitting the catalog between Criterion and Kino.

It was implied that Criterion had regained the rights to the three Hitches they had released on dvd while Kino had Lifeboat and Paradine Case.
Lifeboat was actually licensed to Kino through their deal with Fox, not Disney. Other than that, a pretty good summation of the rights situation for these films.

Reactions: battlebeast

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

So, if whoever owns ABC (Disney?) licensed SPELLBOUND to MGM, why does the disc say FOX?
I’m Cataloging my collection and I want to make sure I have the correct release company.

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think I'll be hanging onto my MGM releases of these two for quite some time. I can't see the reason for upgrade unless there's a UHD release. I have the Criterion Rebecca, but I find the MGM discs of the other two very impressive.

Reactions: battlebeast

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Fox was distributing MGM discs for a while.
the agreement runs until June I believe. Fox and mgm.

I wonder if this is also impacting 007 releases in UHd Blu Ray.

I believe universal may be taking over.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I think I'll be hanging onto my MGM releases of these two for quite some time. I can't see the reason for upgrade unless there's a UHD release. I have the Criterion Rebecca, but I find the MGM discs of the other two very impressive.
That was my first reaction when the Criterions were announced, but Notorious is now a revelation. Criterion has not only revised the original neg scan which is a distinct improvement over the very good MGM scan. I believe the major source for both MGM and the new Crit was a 35mm Fine grain from MoMA. But crit takes the new release further with recourse to another 35 interpos from which they were able to substitue better footage for several scenes previously taken from dupe elements. That includes some of the weaker opticals in the MGM. The only really crap shot remaining is the very rough three second shot of The Christ the Redeemer statue when Alicia and Devlinn fly into Rio. The crit loojs fabulous, especially uprezzed on 4k projection.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Is there any information on why these are not available digitally?

disney ownership perhaps??

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I now have the Criterion 'Notorious' and it is a total joy. One of Hitch's greatest movies and deserving the fine Criterion treatment.
Absolutely agree. Even better than the MGM blu-ray. There aren't that many Hitchcock films which have superior masters on disc, compared to the iTunes version. And they included the fine Rudy Behlmer commentary from the laserdisc too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkMcough