1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Notice to KC folks: Ultimate Electronics "Going out of Business" begins

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Chris, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ultimate Electronics will be closing some locations (not sure how many) in the KC area. For sure to be eliminated is 95th & Quivira in Overland Park. They have started to drop all inventory from that location.

Just an FYI [​IMG]

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    The entire chain is going under. From what I understand, they've declared bankrupcy. One really feels badly for the employees who will lose their jobs.

I went to a store this weekend to check out the inventory. Currently, they are discounting everything 10% which still leaves their prices higher than most other places everyday prices.

My guess is that they'll gradually increase the discounts as the closing date approaches.

Steve

3. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

Pardon me for being ignorant, but...what is KC?

--Mark--

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

My guess would be Kansas City...

5. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

Aha; that would make sense. Thanks, Eric

--Mark--

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Yep, the ones in DFW Midcities are starting their closing sales too.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Ultimate Electronics is closing about half their stores. It remains to be seen whether the entire chain is going under, but I understand that they are looking for a buyer for what remains.

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

My wife just called and said the UE in Brooklyn Center, MN had a sign saying it was closing. I really wouldn't jump up and down for 10% off though.

Paul

9. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

10. alan halvorson

The Brooklyn Center store had to be the least successful in Minnesota, so I am not surprised it's being closed. I've always wondered why they never opened a store in Apple Valley, a primo area with no UE store anywhere near. Probably never will now.

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Well, let me tell you guys something. The one in Tulsa is still going to be around. HOWEVER, a friend of mine went to buy a Denon DVD player and receiver. Both were supposed to be new, neither was, and neither worked. He got a bit of flack from the manager about ripping them off and that my friend was full of crap. All my friend wanted was what he paid for, new products. The manager said they were new items, but shut up once my friend pulled off the second layer of tape off the bottom of the box that reviled the cut tape beneath. I think they can't sell much new stuff if they don't have inventory from the supply chain. I wondered how Denon would feel about THEIR name being tarnished thanks to UE. Short of it, be careful guys. This is a company going down in flames that must be getting product on a cash only basis.

12. Andrew_Newbie

Andrew_Newbie Auditioning

Have any local Ultimate Electronics increased their discount rate yet? I went to a Fort Worth, TX store on Friday and they were still only taking 10% off most products. I'm hoping to grab me a Definitive Tech ProSub 100TL subwoofer for under $200 before the store goes up in flames.

13. Andrew_Newbie

I just called my local Ultimate Electronics and most items are still only 10% off. One of the shipping guys told me last week that sales were slowing though. I'm getting a little impatient waiting for a bigger discount.

There are just too many dumb people that are buying stuff at these "10% off" prices that don't take the time to compare the prices and find out that they are actually the normal retail or even higher.

14. Andrew_Newbie

Most products are now 20% off.

However, the smart buyers should still wait though. They have to sell everything that's on display on the floor.

15. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Yeah, here in Austin I went to UE last week. I read the big "Going out of business" banner and all the "Nothing held back" posters, but everything I saw was only 10 percent off. I laughed and walked out, thinking it is no wonder they are going out of business.

16. alan halvorson

For our Minnesota and Western Wisconsin members (maybe Iowa too), the Ultimate Electronics store in Rochester, MN is closing. Current discount is 20%. I'd say about 40% of the store's merchandise is gone already. I didn't see any products from Krell, Sunfire or Martin-Logan, so probably these went quick (I doubt it), or were shipped to other locations or back to the manufacturers. Plenty of Monster Power stuff, so if that's your interest, get ye hence.